getting out of an overturned aircraft?

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: getting out of an overturned aircraft?

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:16 am

mccool wrote:I copied this over from the "Lessons Learned" section. Probably should have posted it here first:

I'm glad you had help close by. That's about the scenario I fear the most, except that it could be hours or even days before someone finds you if it wasn't right off the side of an active runway.

I think my next plane will likely be high wing, so hopefully there would be less chance of getting trapped in a controlled off airport landing. Of course in a crash where there's significant damage, all bets are off.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: getting out of an overturned aircraft?

Postby pappas » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:55 pm

It's good to mention that I always keep my lap belt really snug. Usually just for turbulence. If the lap belt is loose and you tighten the shoulder straps, the only thing that happens is the lap belt rides up way too far and you are less likely to remain in the pilot's seat in the event of an incident. (in a 4-point harness system).

I knew that this landing was going to be a rough one so I prepared. 1st, I snugged the lap belt really tight, next I leaned back into the seat as far as I could and pulled the shoulder straps just as tight as I could get them, I shut off the fuel and switched off the ignition and all electrics. The last item was completed while still about 50 ft agl. Then the only thing I concentrated on was not stalling and not hitting anything that was solid and taller than about a foot. (I'm thinking 1500 LB 15-foot tall Saguaro Cactus here, after all, it is Arizona and there were quite a few staring right at me).

Sometimes we get a little good luck mixed in with our bad luck.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Previous

Return to Safety and Training