Full flap go-around

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Full flap go-around

Postby Trucker » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:25 pm

I had called turning final, I was full flaps, about 65 mph. Suddenly on short final, at <100 agl, an RV8 was suddenly on my wing, 50 ft or less above me. He never made any calls in the pattern yet there he was, coming in to land at maybe 80 mph. He made a T&G and departed - - with still no calls. I don't think he ever saw me even tho I called him on the radio. Was he on the wrong freq?

I immediately applied full power, moved further away from him, then tried to raise the flaps from full to 1st notch. I couldn't get the flaps out of the full flap notch without reducing power and a/s, which I didn't want to do at 75 ft altitude. Even tho i'm an old 77 yr old with weak muscles due to my cancer situation I couldn't believe those big flaps would be impossible for me to move at full power. I decided to not fool with the full flap situation and just flew the plane as it was.

I ended up staying at full power around the entire pattern, stuck at full flaps, in high density altitude (FL heat) and only reached less than 300 ft altitude by short final, then made a successful landing. Normally, the full flap notch is pretty easy to release the handle, if not maybe too loose on the ground.

So, is there a solution to this flap problem besides electric flaps or keeping rookies out of the pattern?

Thanks
Trucker

Re: Full flap go-around

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:52 pm

What airspeed were you at? The flap force is dependent on airspeed, not power. We fly approaches at 70kts and the forces are not bad. At 80kts they are a bit heavy.

70 kts = 80.5 mph
80 kts = 92 mph

Also we have the acro ailerons, so the flaps are shorter. Not sure how much that affects the control forces.

Edit: I see you were at 65 mph, did you maintain that speed? Seems like you should easily be able to get the flaps off the stop. I find to get the flaps off the stop I have to pull them a little more on first, then move the lever sideways around the stop.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Dave Wolfe » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:20 pm

This topic has come up before. Heres one thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6425&p=48655&hilit=Full+power+flap#p48655
Dave Wolfe

Postby peter anson » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:48 am

Twist of the flap handle will jam it in that notch every time. Make a new flap notch bar but with the full flap slot the same shape as the other slots.

Peter
peter anson

Postby DCASonex » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:35 am

peter anson wrote:Twist of the flap handle will jam it in that notch every time. Make a new flap notch bar but with the full flap slot the same shape as the other slots.

Peter

To expand on peter's comment. Cut the back side of the pockets a bit deeper to allow for twisting of the aluminum bar as you pull on it. (or fit an electric drive.)

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:09 am

I think my center controls are a lot different. There is space to pull back further from the full flap position. The aft "stop" is the spar box.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Arjay » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:52 am

I had the same problem when I first got my legacy Sonex. Since then I only use the first notch of flaps, or none.
Ron
Arjay

Postby daleandee » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:15 pm

I have done aborted landings and thus far have had no problem getting the manual, factory designed, flap handle to work correctly.

If there is anything to be keenly aware of it is the amount of forward push on the stick with full up trim and full flaps set for landing after hitting the full smash button on the 120 hp Corvair. Practice those go-arounds ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby sonex892. » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:15 pm

If you have the retainer nib at the full flap position like the plans show, remove that with a file. You can safely see what is binding by simulating the jambing on the ground. Have someone pull up on the flap with a lot of force then try to change flap position. Keep filing away at the retaining slots in the angle till it doesnt jamb up. I slightly bent the handle outward so that it springs into the retainer angle.
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby DCASonex » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:32 am

I would most strongly recommend AGAINST filing off the retainer nibs. The last thing you want to have happen is for flaps to suddenly retract, could ruin your day. No need to remove the nibs, just make space for the flat bar to twist a bit in the pocket.

David A.
DCASonex

Next

Return to Safety and Training