Full flap go-around

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Full flap go-around

Postby sonex892. » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:49 pm

DCASonex wrote:I would most strongly recommend AGAINST filing off the retainer nibs. The last thing you want to have happen is for flaps to suddenly retract, could ruin your day. No need to remove the nibs, just make space for the flat bar to twist a bit in the pocket.

David A.

David
Maybe you did not notice my mention of bending the handle slightly, spring loading it against the retainer angle in any position. With my actual experience of using the sonex flaps with a handle. They have NEVER looked like slipping out of any position in 13 years and almost 600 hrs of operation. I also have never had any issues in applying or releasing the flaps.
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby DCASonex » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:47 am

Steve, you have obviously analyzed the problem understand it and have taken measures to compensate for the loss of those nibs, but I would sill not recommend removing those to someone who does not fully understand what they might be setting themselves up for and what to watch for over time. Deepening the back end of the pockets should be relatively idiot proof.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby sonex892. » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:30 pm

DCASonex wrote:Steve, you have obviously analyzed the problem understand it and have taken measures to compensate for the loss of those nibs, but I would sill not recommend removing those to someone who does not fully understand what they might be setting themselves up for and what to watch for over time. Deepening the back end of the pockets should be relatively idiot proof.

David A.

Dave I dont disagree. Flaps coming up unexpextedly is bad and shouldnt happen. Likewise flaps getting stuck on full when trying to go around with 80 hp would be terrifying. I just think the flap position retaining is a thing that could have been better designed. These flap handle slots are definitely safer with a loose fit than a tight fit.
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Previous

Return to Safety and Training