Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:21 pm

Sadly we have lost Darick.
https://www.yorkdispatch.com/obituaries/mpa087606

I've never met him in person or seen his airplane but I'd be inclined to think it is a good one.

Edit: the photos in the middle of his build thread are missing. Thanks to the photobucket/postimage debacle. But in the beginning and end there are some.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby kmacht » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:13 am

Make sure you look through and check that service bulletins were done. There were a couple critical ones that come to mind on the A model. The first is the landing gear bolts. They changed the type of bolt (stainless to cad plated maybe?). There were issues with the bolts cracking but you could not see it because they broke inside the joint up at the motor mount. The other one to consider is the rudder pedals. Some of the early A models used thinner tubing in the rudder pedals and it caused some problems with them failing under heavy ground handling loads. Finally, there were a bunch on the early aerocarb and throttle. Pay particular attention to how the throttle cable is routed and that it isn’t binding the aerocarb or being twisted at the throttle assembly. There were some issues with the slide part of the carb sticking at full throttle and a few others of the cable breaking right at the throttle lever. All were fixed with a number of service bulletins

Finally, check out how the fuel line is run and read up on the sonex burps. Ideally you want a straight line from tank to carb on a constant downward slope. The line should also be heavily insulated. Essentially you are trying to minimize vapor bubbles in the line by keeping the temps down and making the path of least resistance be the gas tank for any air in the line. If you see a gascolator mounted down low with a loop back up to the carb instead of an in line filter you will want to inspect closer. The aerocarb has no float bowl so any interruption in fuel at all (even a minor one like a vapor bubble) will make the engine stumble. It’s not very assuring when it happens on takeoff.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Hambone » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:17 am

Thanks for the useful information, Keith. I’ll be sure to review and check all service bulletins and the fuel line installation.
Hambone

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:15 pm

Here is his fuel line installation:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=913&start=100
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Hambone » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:31 pm

That's great, Bryan. Thanks for that.

Even having not known Darick, I must admit to getting a bit choked up reading through his build journal. His attention to detail and attitude were apparent, and I'm so sorry he's not still flying N417DG.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Sonex tomorrow afternoon, after a long redeye flight from San Francisco!
Hambone

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:59 pm

Hambone wrote:That's great, Bryan. Thanks for that.

Even having not known Darick, I must admit to getting a bit choked up reading through his build journal. His attention to detail and attitude were apparent, and I'm so sorry he's not still flying N417DG.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Sonex tomorrow afternoon, after a long redeye flight from San Francisco!

It would be a fitting tribute if you bought it and flew the heck out of it!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Hambone » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:49 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:
Hambone wrote:That's great, Bryan. Thanks for that.

It would be a fitting tribute if you bought it and flew the heck out of it!

That’s a great way to look at it!
Hambone

Postby WaiexB22 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:00 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Here is his fuel line installation:
https://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=100

Sorry to jump off topic, but I have been looking to install a drain exactly like the one on this fuel system as opposed to a gascolator. Just a T with a sump routed to the belly of the cowl. Is anybody else running one? Has well does it work?
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:04 pm

Hi all,
Rip darick gundy, almost two years ago in his passing.

Michael.
WaiexN143NM

Postby Hambone » Fri May 03, 2024 5:44 pm

So I flew out to Pennsylvania, met up with owner Brian Bange (super nice guy), and bought his Sonex! It's a beautiful build by Darick, further refined and improved by Brian. We had a short 30-minute jaunt around the beautiful Susquehanna Valley countryside, which is actually the first time anyone has been in the right seat in its short 60 hours life! It performed well with two 180-pounders and half a tank of fuel. Of course, I'm already considering the turbo upgrade as well as an avionics refresh!

Now back in California, contemplating whether to fly it or UHaul it home. I think I'll go back out and fly it around the local area for a few days before making that decision.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance. I'm afraid I'll probably be asking for more!
Attachments
IMG_7087.JPEG
IMG_7078.JPEG
Hambone

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training