Fuses on Panel?

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Fuses on Panel?

Postby chris » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Has anybody mounted a fuse block RV12 style on the panel with just the fuses showing? I know space is limited but with a basic panel with just something like a MGL Xtreme and a com radio it seems doable. I envision something with those automotive fuses that light up to indicate they are blown being very visible on the panel.

I've seen plenty of fuse blocks mounted on the passenger side of the fuselage... I think I remember seeing a picture of one like i'm thinking of but I cant locate it. If you know of somebody that has done this, can any of you post a picture or url? I'd like to give it a look.
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Re: Fuses on Panel?

Postby Andy Walker » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:36 am

I've seen several Sonex/Waiex with breakers on the panel, I can't imagine fuses would be much harder. It's all in the planning, I bet you can find space for everything you need/want in your panel if you are careful about it (and aren't planning an insane amount of stuff).
Andy Walker

Postby GOIX » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:17 am

I wonder if this might work ??

http://www.flemingsalesoem.com/intellit ... 85.000.pdf

Has anyone been able to source the panel mounted fuse block on the RV 12 ?

Marc
Marc
Onex 0024
C-GOIX reserved
GOIX

Postby GOIX » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:28 am

Here's another possibility . This could be mounted with stand offs behind the panel .

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p524.html

Marc
Marc
Onex 0024
C-GOIX reserved
GOIX

Postby Andy Walker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:19 am

I'm planning to use switch breakers. That way you don't need additional space for breakers other than what's required for the switches.
Andy Walker

Postby 142YX » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Andy Walker wrote:I'm planning to use switch breakers. That way you don't need additional space for breakers other than what's required for the switches.

I am thinking the same.. but those switch breakers go quite deep and take up a lot more space than i would like..
Waiex # 142 - Taildragger, Jabiru 3300
First Flight - July 13th, 2015
450 hours and counting..
142YX

Postby fastj22 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:21 pm

I flipped back and forth between fuses and breakers, and after talking to an RV buddy, he convinced me to go with breakers. More expensive for sure, but I also won't have to figure out a place to stash the spare fuses!
With the small Sonex panel, just couldn't figure out how to put a fuse bus on it cleanly, except on the underside. And I didn't want to put it on the side wall like the Onex prototype had.
I plan on putting the breakers in a row as low on the right panel as they will fit with the power supply bus bar on the top screws and load leads off the bottom and over to the switches low on the left panel. EFIS and radios in the center. I can neatly tie all the load leads to the panel bottom tray.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby TogaDriver » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Here's how we plan to put fuses on a Onex panel. Inspired by the RV-12 panel design. This is a fake panel blank we're using to plan and to wire.

Neil
KDVO
Attachments
Onex-Panel.jpg
Onex-Panel.jpg (165.66 KiB) Viewed 8406 times
TogaDriver

Postby RodgerC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:05 am

I like the look of switches and CB's
Attachments
photo (9).JPG
photo (9).JPG (53.86 KiB) Viewed 8387 times
RodgerC

Postby kmacht » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:34 pm

I know the conventional thinking is to put the fuses inside the cockpit but on my plane I mounted the fuse block on the firewall. My reasoning is that if any of thoses fuses were to blow there is no good reason to ever replace it while in flight. It is time to land and figure out why it blew and get it fixed before taking off again. My electrial system was designed so that if any fuse blew or even if I shut the main switch off it would not cause the airplane to quit flying. The engine will run just fine on just the magnetos and both my comm radio (hand held wired with an external antenna and into the intercom) as well as my EFIS and GPS have backup batteries. I can shut down all devices with either a switch on the panel or on the unit itself and if all else fails one switch shuts off power from both the battery and alternator.

Keith
kmacht

Next

Return to Panel