N307TW’s Panel is finally done!

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Re: N307TW’s Panel is finally done!

Postby lakespookie » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:33 pm

On a seperate note i see you have a trim servo breaker on the rear panel what kind of trim setup are you using?
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby Murray Parr » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:24 pm

Looks like a lot of extra weight behind the seats. How do you think the weight and balance will go? I tried not putting anything aft of the seats as I think my cg will be farther aft with the Rotax up front
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby n307tw » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:31 pm

lakespookie wrote:On a seperate note i see you have a trim servo breaker on the rear panel what kind of trim setup are you using?

I am using a Ray Allen T3-12A servo actuating a slightly enlarged old school Sonex trim tab. The trim can be activated manually via a hat switch on my stick or in conjunction with the 2-axis Garmin autopilot (it has auto trim option). I put the breakers there in case there is a runaway trim issue I can pull it and be done.

Murray Parr wrote:Looks like a lot of extra weight behind the seats. How do you think the weight and balance will go? I tried not putting anything aft of the seats as I think my cg will be farther aft with the Rotax up front

It will take away about 15lbs from usable cargo area, I haven't had the opportunity to do a full weight and balance on the plane yet. However, given I am using a heavier engine option, it may all work out. As soon as I know, I will let you know.

-Tim
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby AstroAussie » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:33 pm

lakespookie wrote:
AstroAussie wrote:Do you have pictures of your whole panel? Awesome work by the way! Maybe a youtube video if you ever have time or want to even? lol. I have been looking for panel ideas but they all seem to be A model panels so that doesnt help. I want the dynon system with the 10.5 screen as well. Maybe make it a ifr platform but very minimal IFR. I live on the west coast so getting into some coastal areas is difficult unless i wait till around noon for the layer to burn off. this is honestly awesome. great job!

I have priced out an IFR Panel, It will bring up the cost of the install and really depends on how much redundancy you want. But to set up a light IFR Panel i think the best option would be to add a single G5 about 1500 US and swap out the Transponder for the GNX 375 about 7k US, depending on the transponder solution your exsisting design includes you will save anywhere from 2-4k so your total increase will be roughly 6k to go IFR, less if you didnt have a GDL and were planning on the ADSB In transponder.

The Sonex Airframe is not ideal for IFR but i totally get the Marine layer issue in the mornings similar issue in SoCal and a reason i will be equiping IFR that plus i plan to fly across the country and it can be nice to be in the system for long trips like that.

If you don't mind sharing, what panel ideas do you have? May i see your price out plan?
AstroAussie

Postby lakespookie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:17 am

AstroAussie wrote:
lakespookie wrote:
AstroAussie wrote:Do you have pictures of your whole panel? Awesome work by the way! Maybe a youtube video if you ever have time or want to even? lol. I have been looking for panel ideas but they all seem to be A model panels so that doesnt help. I want the dynon system with the 10.5 screen as well. Maybe make it a ifr platform but very minimal IFR. I live on the west coast so getting into some coastal areas is difficult unless i wait till around noon for the layer to burn off. this is honestly awesome. great job!

I have priced out an IFR Panel, It will bring up the cost of the install and really depends on how much redundancy you want. But to set up a light IFR Panel i think the best option would be to add a single G5 about 1500 US and swap out the Transponder for the GNX 375 about 7k US, depending on the transponder solution your exsisting design includes you will save anywhere from 2-4k so your total increase will be roughly 6k to go IFR, less if you didnt have a GDL and were planning on the ADSB In transponder.

The Sonex Airframe is not ideal for IFR but i totally get the Marine layer issue in the mornings similar issue in SoCal and a reason i will be equiping IFR that plus i plan to fly across the country and it can be nice to be in the system for long trips like that.

If you don't mind sharing, what panel ideas do you have? May i see your price out plan?

Astro look up a post in this forum called aeromomentum G3x that is my panel design post i have 3 possible solutions there, although i will say my design is way overkill for VFR and and probably way overkill for light IFR work, but i want the redundancy and safety. I would never fly hard IFR in a sonex or in any kind of convective activity.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby CAPTAINxxRICHIE » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:28 pm

Gotta revive this thread. I see you have the 2 axis autopilot. I assume they are slaved to the GDU 460. Do you have another thread that details the installation of the servos, etc. Or do you have any knowledge of another thread on here? I am fairly interested in installing some servos slaved to my GDU 450.

My tailnumber is N307W :)
CAPTAINxxRICHIE

Postby lakespookie » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:00 pm

Here is the latest Design for my panel

Panel.PNG

Includes 2 axis autopilot and I intend to go with a VPX-Pro to simplify circuit protection, G5 will have a battery back up, IBBS 6AH for the rest of the critical Avionics, EIS, PFD/MFD, IFR Nav, and IFR Avionics Power Bus,

I am on the fence if i want to add a second alternator or a back up battery for the engine on a switchable bus.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Previous

Return to Panel