N307TW’s Panel is finally done!

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Re: N307TW’s Panel is finally done!

Postby dirkverdonck » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:44 am

Hello Guys,

Last week I sent the dimensions of the Sonex-B panel to Hangar Zulu and it is now available for all users. www.hangarzulu.com.
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby Spaceman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:28 am

richd wrote:Also, thanks so much for posting this. I too don’t think i can compromise and will do almost anything to get the GSU460 in the Sonex B model. Do you have some more pictures of what it looks like behind the g3x? Looking to see what structural you have under the fiberglass hump. Did you put some kind of cross bar or something to tie the fiberglass together under the fiberglass?

Also, it looks like you just need an extra inch to get the gsu460 in. Is there any reason you went so much higher than you May have needed to to fit the gsu460 in?

I extended my panel downwards to do the same thing. Mostly because I thought it would be easier and I was afraid to hack into the glareshield if it didn't work out! I'm not sure which way would be more or less structurally good...
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby n307tw » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:34 am

richd wrote: Also, thanks so much for posting this. I too don’t think i can compromise and will do almost anything to get the GSU460 in the Sonex B model. Do you have some more pictures of what it looks like behind the g3x? Looking to see what structural you have under the fiberglass hump. Did you put some kind of cross bar or something to tie the fiberglass together under the fiberglass?

Also, it looks like you just need an extra inch to get the gsu460 in. Is there any reason you went so much higher than you May have needed to to fit the gsu460 in?

Hi Rich,

I went higher for a multitude of reasons. First I didn't want to cut into the bottom structure of the panel. Second, sitting in the cockpit, I am a decent size at 6 feet (all legs, small torso) and my legs brush against the underneath of the panel as it is. Thirdly, I needed a way to access the float sensor I installed from the top in the fuel tank. Most of the original structure of the panel and glare shield remained the same. I did cut into the glare shield a bit but have 0.050" straps tying in from the panel into glare shield for extra support. Additionally, I have two T6061 0.050" sheets laser cut for the GDU460 and the iPad mount. These sheets are the square portions that rises above the natural curve of the panel. These were flush riveted into the existing panel face provided by Sonex and provides a ton of rigidity. There is a 3/4" aluminum angle attached at the top of these sheets holding the top of the fiberglass and the fiberglass is secured to that with automotive plastic fasteners that can be easily removed. The remainder of the fiberglass piece on the is held in place on the glare shield with heavy duty 3M dual-loc 'velcro'. Obviously there are more elegant ways to make this work, however my fiberglass skills are similar to Helen Keller's and I am no Mike Patey, haha. Everything looks good from a distance and this will not win a Bronze Lindy. Its functional and it works, that is all I care about. I am a little concerned that maybe it is too tall so I am incorporating a back-up cam facing forward into the cowling so I can see the taxiways ok. The Garmin allows an on-screen video feed. Probably overkill but I figured it may help. Any other questions, feel free to let me know.
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby richd » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Looking at the skyview HDX1100
https://dynonavionics.com/downloads/SV- ... rawing.PDF
Cut out is 6.28in top to bottom. but it still looks to be about the same size screen as the G3x460.
The cool thing about the hdx is that it hangs over the lower lip.

Not a big fan of the skyview graphical user interface, but they seem to make wiring the thing dirt simple.

What do you all think of this idea?
Did a quick quote on Dynon's site and price ranges from 10K (Standard VFR) to almost 20K (Delux VFR).
http://pricing.dynonavionics.com

Maybe the MGL is not looking so bad.
richd

Postby richd » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:43 pm

Thanks a bunch for your reply Tim.
richd

Postby Spaceman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:45 am

[quote="n307tw"][quote="richd"]I am a little concerned that maybe it is too tall so I am incorporating a back-up cam facing forward into the cowling so I can see the taxiways ok. The Garmin allows an on-screen video feed. Probably overkill but I figured it may help./quote]

I have been thinking about doing that too although I haven't looked into it too seriously yet. If you ever watch Trent Palmer on youtube he has a camera hooked up to a G3X on his Kitfox and it looks like it works really nice. I think a Kitfox is way taller in the front than a Sonex though so like you said, not sure how much added benefit it would be for us. Looks cool though.
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby n307tw » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:07 pm

richd wrote:Thanks a bunch for your reply Tim.
Anytime Rich! Reach out if you have more questions.

Spaceman wrote:I have been thinking about doing that too although I haven't looked into it too seriously yet. If you ever watch Trent Palmer on youtube he has a camera hooked up to a G3X on his Kitfox and it looks like it works really nice. I think a Kitfox is way taller in the front than a Sonex though so like you said, not sure how much added benefit it would be for us. Looks cool though.

Hey Chris,
I got the idea from Trent and also Mike Patey. Of course, Mike is known for going a little crazy on electronics but we will see how it works.

-Tim
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby n307tw » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:12 pm

richd wrote:Looking at the skyview HDX1100
Cut out is 6.28in top to bottom. but it still looks to be about the same size screen as the G3x460.

Not a big fan of the skyview graphical user interface, but they seem to make wiring the thing dirt simple.

Did a quick quote on Dynon's site and price ranges from 10K (Standard VFR) to almost 20K (Delux VFR).

I spent close to 12k for everything for my G3X setup with 2 axis autopilot. 20k seems excessive for Dynon. I was quoted $10,500 for a similar MGL setup.
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby AstroAussie » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:53 pm

n307tw wrote:
richd wrote:Looking at the skyview HDX1100

I spent close to 12k for everything for my G3X setup with 2 axis autopilot. 20k seems excessive for Dynon. I was quoted $10,500 for a similar MGL setup.

Do you have pictures of your whole panel? Awesome work by the way! Maybe a youtube video if you ever have time or want to even? lol. I have been looking for panel ideas but they all seem to be A model panels so that doesnt help. I want the dynon system with the 10.5 screen as well. Maybe make it a ifr platform but very minimal IFR. I live on the west coast so getting into some coastal areas is difficult unless i wait till around noon for the layer to burn off. this is honestly awesome. great job!
AstroAussie

Postby lakespookie » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:32 pm

AstroAussie wrote:Do you have pictures of your whole panel? Awesome work by the way! Maybe a youtube video if you ever have time or want to even? lol. I have been looking for panel ideas but they all seem to be A model panels so that doesnt help. I want the dynon system with the 10.5 screen as well. Maybe make it a ifr platform but very minimal IFR. I live on the west coast so getting into some coastal areas is difficult unless i wait till around noon for the layer to burn off. this is honestly awesome. great job!

I have priced out an IFR Panel, It will bring up the cost of the install and really depends on how much redundancy you want. But to set up a light IFR Panel i think the best option would be to add a single G5 about 1500 US and swap out the Transponder for the GNX 375 about 7k US, depending on the transponder solution your exsisting design includes you will save anywhere from 2-4k so your total increase will be roughly 6k to go IFR, less if you didnt have a GDL and were planning on the ADSB In transponder.

The Sonex Airframe is not ideal for IFR but i totally get the Marine layer issue in the mornings similar issue in SoCal and a reason i will be equiping IFR that plus i plan to fly across the country and it can be nice to be in the system for long trips like that.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

PreviousNext

Return to Panel