Waiex-B G3X Aeromomentum Panel

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Re: Waiex-B G3X Aeromomentum Panel

Postby XenosN42 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:57 pm

alphapapafoxtrot wrote:I have heard in other posts that some people have had trouble getting autopilot to work with Sonex in general due to low wing loading and being very responsive. I am currently building a Waiex, and I plan to use acro aileron. I wonder if non-acro aileron is more appropriate with autopilot use?

I haven’t heard of any issues with roll response using auto pilots. Pitch control and response, in some cases, needs a bit of configuration and flight testing.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby lakespookie » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:24 pm

I know of and have ridden in a DYNON Equipped AP Waiex that functions very nicely i was told that they did have to do some tuning of the autopilot but i would expect that for any installation. The garmin manual has specific flight test cards for tuning the AP i suspect the dynon does as well although i am going garmin the dynon panel i got to see was very nice.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby GordonTurner » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:13 am

Sounds like we are planning similar panels. I am going with G3X, GTX375, and MGL V16/N16. I have decided to mount the 375 high in the panel extending over the fuel tank. Everything else has no real depth. The Razor ties in to the system with RS232, the MGL components have their own mini-CAN bus which specifically CANNOT be tied into the Garmin CANBUS.

I have a fairly detailed load analysis put together which I am happy to share. It’s a spreadsheet so you can easily adjust any values you disagree with, or add or subtract items.

Planning is cheap, so keep at it.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby lakespookie » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:01 am

GordonTurner wrote:Sounds like we are planning similar panels. I am going with G3X, GTX375, and MGL V16/N16. I have decided to mount the 375 high in the panel extending over the fuel tank. Everything else has no real depth. The Razor ties in to the system with RS232, the MGL components have their own mini-CAN bus which specifically CANNOT be tied into the Garmin CANBUS.

I have a fairly detailed load analysis put together which I am happy to share. It’s a spreadsheet so you can easily adjust any values you disagree with, or add or subtract items.

Planning is cheap, so keep at it.

Gordon

I also have a spreadsheet for load analysis although i dont know that i would share it it has about 5 diffrent configurations so its a little messy lol. That being said based on the clearances i have been given behind the panel i think the GNX will fit with the connector just barley but we will see i was also thinking of the over the top mount if i need to but i would much rather keep the AP controls at the top of the stack. For refrence i have been told that the depth to the tank is 11.125 inches and the GNX with the connector is 10.78 inches in depth still pretty tight but i think i can work the wire bundle in such a way that it should not be an issue. worst case since i will already be extending the panel up i can drop it on top of the stack like you are planning on doing. My understanding from reading the MGL manuals is that as long as you have the independent radio heads you can connect the radios and have full control of them but you do need the serial box to interface with them via the G3X that is why i am running to radio heads. i am also going to delete the air vents i picked up the vans lower vents on the suggestion of another owner that should open up the panel a bit and make it a little less crowded.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby alphapapafoxtrot » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:40 am

Slightly on a tangent since you mentioned N16 radio. What kind of VOR/NAV/GS antenna are you planning to use?
I have seen cat whisker antenna sticking forward from aft tailcone near ruddervator. Blade antenna looks nice as well.
alphapapafoxtrot

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:28 pm

1897930D-9505-4E3B-A870-16449036DFD4.jpeg
Bracket on inside, below pushrods
1897930D-9505-4E3B-A870-16449036DFD4.jpeg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
F8E64699-1E34-4587-A85B-4AB561508FFD.jpeg
Aft fuselage, just forward of rudder.
F8E64699-1E34-4587-A85B-4AB561508FFD.jpeg (83.77 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

I elected to use the whiskers in the aft fuselage. Fit nicely, mostly under the stabs for protection. A couple inches of each whisker is blocked inside the fuselage, but from my attempt at a mathematical analysis the length outside should still give good reception for the nav/loc/gs frequencies. I ended i up p with the helicopter version of the whisker antenna, which is somewhat stiffer than the general use version. Not through planning, bought it from a guy who didn’t need it, but seems beneficial anyways.

Gordon
GordonTurner

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:00 pm

alphapapafoxtrot wrote:Slightly on a tangent since you mentioned N16 radio. What kind of VOR/NAV/GS antenna are you planning to use?
I have seen cat whisker antenna sticking forward from aft tailcone near ruddervator. Blade antenna looks nice as well.

I made one. Down a few posts on this page.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&start=1230

Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:33 pm

Does pointing aft increase the drag?
GordonTurner

Postby lakespookie » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:29 am

Thats actually a pretty cool mounting location I am building a trike so i was planning on a belly mount but that install you did in the tail is pretty neat my only concerns would be servicability
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:39 pm

lakespookie wrote:Thats actually a pretty cool mounting location I am building a trike so i was planning on a belly mount but that install you did in the tail is pretty neat my only concerns would be servicability

1) remove fairing between the tails.
2) remove BNC connector by reaching through the hole in the panel that is under the fairing.
3) remove mounting screws from underneath.

Replacement is the same steps in reverse. Very serviceable.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to Panel