Back Up ASI

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Re: Back Up ASI

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:36 am

I put a backup MGL ASI/ALT in case I lose my efis or all power and I can switch it from the main bus to a 9v battery with a panel mounted switch. I slso have the reserve lift indicator.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:23 pm

Bryan, I am a dedicated convert from GA to Recreational Aircraft Association Australia (RAAus). Did some flying in a Citabria recently - felt like flying a tank.

My personal view of RAA class aircraft is that the KISS principal should be, wherever practical adhered to. Some RAA pilots seem to try and get their aircrafts level of system redundancy up to or better than GA - I don't understand this (unless its a bragging issue). BUT where a cost effective nil impact on performance safety enhancement can be implemented, I tend to go for it.

My new Sonex has come to me with a level of systems sophistication I never aspired to - not suggesting for a moment that I will undo the "package" I have purchased.

I have researched installing an A of A compatible with my Dynon - seems to be a simple cost effective enhancement that would improve my aircraft safety, particularly when attempting a landing on marginal field. Unfortunately the systems I have looked at would require significant changes to my pitot mounting - so something that may happen in the future.

The installation of a small analogue ASI, cost not too different from the A of A mast, will, in the event of a Dynon failure, give me all the information that I might need to get me down & stopped all in one piece. In the short term I think this will be the way I will go.

As for finding oneself landing down wind - most of my flying is over heavily treed, undulating to precipitous, terrain with only the occasional small field. An engine out would see me looking for the open space that I felt I could put down in with the greatest chance of my survival and secondly least damage to the aircraft - this could quite easily involve a down wind landing . When I fly out west the country opens up into larger flatter terrain, infinitely more options for a successful "out landing" I could even be picky about which 1000 acre field I might like to put down on.
Skippydiesel

Postby Onex107 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:50 am

There are plans for a standalone AOA on the internet. It does not use your pitot and does not use power. I built my probe out of scrap alum. The only expense is a differential pressure gage, less than $100 here. It does have to be mounted somewhere easy to see when landing. After 350 hours in my Onex I wouldn't fly without one in any airplane.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby onex28 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:53 pm

Hi Morris, what degree do you have your AOA SET AT?

David W
onex28

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:44 am

Onex107 wrote:There are plans for a standalone AOA on the internet. It does not use your pitot and does not use power. I built my probe out of scrap alum. The only expense is a differential pressure gage, less than $100 here. It does have to be mounted somewhere easy to see when landing. After 350 hours in my Onex I wouldn't fly without one in any airplane.

You can find a write up of the LRI here

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/e83c7c ... 4222140376

https://sonexfoundation.com/safety-%26-education
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Onex107 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:09 pm

onex28 wrote:Hi Morris, what degree do you have your AOA SET AT?

David W

The angle of the probe is adjustable. It's mounted on the inspection plate on the left stub wing. I don't remember exactly but it's somewhere around 53 degrees I think. I adjusted the angle until when it stalled the gage was just inside of the red area. This is 46-47 mph. The gage comes off the peg at 70 so the green and yellow areas are used primarily on approach and landing. But, doing high speed turns, 360's, 2 G's, you come very close to a stall also.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:19 pm

With Reference to the A of A Plans, Page 10, Drawing

1. Why is the mast angled forward?
2. The two inlet holes seem (from the drawing) to be aligned - same forward location and parallel to air flow ?
3. If my observation of 2 is correct, could the mast be vertical?
Skippydiesel

Postby Onex107 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:25 pm

The holes are parallel but located on 45 deg. surfaces. When the wing increases it's angle of attack, the pressure on the holes unbalance and the differential pressure indicates how much angle there is. When the wing stalls, the pressures are the most different.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:04 pm

Onex107 wrote:The holes are parallel but located on 45 deg. surfaces. When the wing increases it's angle of attack, the pressure on the holes unbalance and the differential pressure indicates how much angle there is. When the wing stalls, the pressures are the most different.

Have you looked at other A of A's - The Dynon doesn't require a 45 degree angle surface but if memory serves the lower port is set at 45 degrees to the upper.
Skippydiesel

Postby onex28 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:07 pm

Thanks Morrie, I’ve started at 60 degrees and will drop to 53. I shortened my wingtips (19 feet wingspan now) so my adjustment may be slightly different than yours. Now I have to find out why my ADSB stopped reporting altitude.
onex28

Previous

Return to Panel