Which EFIS / GPS

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Which EFIS / GPS

Postby Andy Walker » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:14 am

Hey guys...

I'm getting close to working on my forward fuselage, and so I'm thinking about thinking about how to set up my panel. I'm pretty sure I want the following gear:

EFIS
GPS
Backup ASI (smaller the better)
Microair Radio
Trig TT-22 Mode-S Transponder

I'm just trying to figure out which EFIS and GPS I might want to use. I've pretty much narrowed the EFIS to the Dynon Flightdek D-180 or the Dynon Skyview. The D-180 is nice because the AHRS is built-in, and the entire system is significantly less expensive. However, I am thinking about adding an autopilot either at build time or later, and on the D-180 that requires an additional $700 annunciator/input knob assembly. The Skyview has the knob and thus does not require the sub-panel. This brings the costs for each system closer together.

If I go with the Skyview, it has a GPS and moving map software built-in. I could in theory run the EFIS and moving map in split-screen, saving some panel space that would otherwise be devoted to the GPS. However, for this to work well I'd probably need the larger (10" screen) version of the Skyview, and I'm not sure if that will physically fit in the Sonex panel. I have downloaded and printed the full-size templates of the 10" and 7" Skyview systems, so I'll check those on my Sonex panel sometime soon.

As far as the GPS goes, there are a lot of options. There's Garmin, Bendix/King, AvMap, and a bunch of others. I'd like to have some weather capability, whether XM or ADS-B. ADS-B is more expensive up front, but in the long run is probably cheaper since no subscription is required. Coverage is less right now, but that should improve. Any GPS I get must also accept TIS input, since I am installing a mode-S transponder.

Suggestions, ideas, or any other input?
Andy Walker

Re: Which EFIS / GPS

Postby Mike53 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:43 am

Wow, Andy that will be one impressive panel.Would appreciate if you gave links to the systems you are thinking of using. You know......just so I can drool over them :cry: Thanks
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Andy Walker » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Mike, it's a lot like Kip Laurie's panel actually. I actually like steam gauges as well as glass panels, but glass weighs less. :) And of course this is all subject to change and to my finances when I actually get to the point of having to write checks...

Dynon D-180:

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/D180_intro.html

Dynon Autopilot info (you can see the autopilot subpanel on this page):

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/Autopilot_intro.html

* Looks like I was wrong on the price...Dynon lists the autopilot sub-panel at $450 *

Dynon Skyview:

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_intro.html

Garmin portable GPS units:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=156

AvMap EKP IV / V :

http://www.avmap.us/index.php?swt=12
Andy Walker

Postby Mike53 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks Andy. The Skyview is an incredible product.I watched the video and luckily no one was around to see me drooling.
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby sonex293 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Recommendations? Wait as long as you can before ordering anything. There's always something new in the EFIS/GPS market. MGL will be showing off their new iEFIS Explorer at AirVenture, and I'm sure the others will have new goodies too. Nothing worse then having a new toy sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed and have something new come along. I think I only had 6 months on my new Blue Mountain EFIS before the company went under.....but it is still working great.

I can also say I've really enjoyed flying with my iPAD. I tried ForeFlight going down and WingX coming back on my last long x-country. Both equally nice and I haven't made up my mind which one I want to stay with yet.
Last edited by sonex293 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Michael
sonex293

Postby Andy Walker » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:29 pm

sonex293 wrote:Recommendations? Wait as long as you can before ordering anything. There's always something new in the EFIS/GPS market. MGL will be showing off their new iEFIS Explorer at AirVenture, and I'm sure the others will have new goodies too. Nothing worse then having a new toy sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed and have something new come along. I think I only had 6 months on my new Blue Mountain EFIS before the company went under.....but it is still working great.

I can also say I've really enjoyed flying with my iPAD. I tried ForeFlight going down and WingX coming back on my last long x-country. Both equally nice and I haven't made up my mind which one I want to stay with yet.

I generally agree Michael. But there's a balancing act, you want to want as long as possible to take advantage of new features and good pricing, but you also want to be able to plan ahead, which you can only do if you know what equipment you're going to buy. I'm in the "look but don't buy yet" phase at the moment. :)
Andy Walker

Postby chris » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:38 pm

sonex293 wrote:...MGL will be showing off their new iEFIS Explorer at AirVenture, and I'm sure the others will have new goodies too....--

I'm curious to see the pricing on the transponder and the iEFIS. Have you all heard anything?
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Postby bhassel » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Check out this link on a post from VAF:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=74245

Awesome!
bhassel

Postby Andy Walker » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:43 pm

bhassel wrote:Check out this link on a post from VAF:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=74245

Awesome!

Yowza, they say they are looking at a transparent heads-up display EFIS? Now I'm intrigued.
Andy Walker

Postby Mike53 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:05 am

We certainly have come a long way from playing Pong on our TV screens and 8 track players.
Ah for the simple life. :)
I realize some of you have no experience with this type of high technology but in it's day it too was awesome........well maybe just awe.
Mike
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Mike53

Next

Return to Panel