stx 165 transponder ans uavionics ads b out

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

stx 165 transponder ans uavionics ads b out

Postby n502pd » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:46 pm

I am comming up to the time I will be installing a transponder. I have planned from the time I constructed my pannel to use the stx 165 transponder, and still wish to do so. Since uavionicx has introduced the ea-b version of the wing tip mounted ads-b out system, that is what I want to use also.

The question here, has anyone used these two items, with what results, and are you pleased with those results, or were there big problems involved?

ACS says the stx 165 isnt compatable with ads-b because of its nominal power...200 watts, while the info I have indicats that is incorrect as there are at least 4 different classes of power outputs, with the max being 500 wats. That info is confusing, I think, ACS, as Dennis at Sandia Aero indicates the stx 165 would work fine with external waas gps, which the uavionics wingtip device has.

So before I spend hard earned cash, i ask for any input from all the fine fellows, and gals,here!
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Re: stx 165 transponder ans uavionics ads b out

Postby mike.smith » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:09 am

Joe:
I have the STX 165 and have had it for 5 years. Works great. I have the uAvionix echoUAT (in/out). Also works great. I got a positive report from the FAA the first time I tested it, so everything seems to work fine. If you have any questions at all about compatibility, talk to uAvionix. I spoke with them before I bought the echoUAT and they were very personable and helpful.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby n502pd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks Mike! great vote of confidence in the 165! all I need in the adsb out. I have already equiped with stratux, but have been recovering from surgery and not flown yet. maybe this coming week!!! Others have indicated that the wingtip skybeacon needs line of sight to the xpndr antenna, and that it did not work without mounting it much lower that the standard wingtip light location, using some sort of bracket. it has been my understanding that the skybeacon couples to the xponder via internal wiring surface coupleing, not direct point to point hard wireing, as in the nav lamp to positive 12v buss, where the 165 gets its power too. So, I guess I will call uavionix and see what they say. Thanks for the tip!!
Joe Nelsen
Flying @78.2
n502pd

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi Joe,

If you find any good deals on the Sandia STX 165R, let me know. I’ve been toying with the idea of installing one and using my MGL Xtreme to run it, but I keep hesitating on the price.

If I decide to install ADS-B Out I would do the exact same thing as you and Mike; STX 165 and a uAvionix Echo system. Seems like the most simple and cost effective way to have the airplane equipped for ADS-B!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby lpaaruule » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 am

I'm still learning this ADS-B stuff, but it seems like the STX 360R wouldn't be much of a price difference than adding separate Echo, and ADS-B in units to a mode C transponder, plus it looks like you only need one antenna. Seems like a much cleaner install.

One thing I'm wondering though; I thought ADS-B required a mode S transponder, and the STX 360R appears to be mode C.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby rkurian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:14 am

I've had the Sandia 165 for the past 4 years and have had no issues with it. Very simple hookup, basically ships power and ground. I have just purchased the EchoUAT and plan on installing it soon.
Ray Kurian
Sonex 612 (N115DM)
Plans Built
Trigear, Aerovee, Dual stick.
First flight 4/11/2015
rkurian

Postby rkurian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:17 am

mike.smith wrote:Joe:
I have the STX 165 and have had it for 5 years. Works great. I have the uAvionix echoUAT (in/out). Also works great. I got a positive report from the FAA the first time I tested it, so everything seems to work fine. If you have any questions at all about compatibility, talk to uAvionix. I spoke with them before I bought the echoUAT and they were very personable and helpful.

Did you hook your ECHO up directly to the 165, or use the simple installation for legacy transponders?
Ray Kurian
Sonex 612 (N115DM)
Plans Built
Trigear, Aerovee, Dual stick.
First flight 4/11/2015
rkurian

Postby mike.smith » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:38 pm

lpaaruule wrote:I'm still learning this ADS-B stuff, but it seems like the STX 360R wouldn't be much of a price difference than adding separate Echo, and ADS-B in units to a mode C transponder, plus it looks like you only need one antenna. Seems like a much cleaner install.

One thing I'm wondering though; I thought ADS-B required a mode S transponder, and the STX 360R appears to be mode C.

Mode C is all that is required. The ADSB hardware provides basically the same information as a Mode S transponder, so a Mode S would be redundant.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby n502pd » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:29 pm

All great info. Now what I would like to ask is for anyone who has installed a Skybeacon on the LH wing tip of a sonex to take pictures of how it was mounted relative to the top edge of the wing, and how far below the wing bottom the fin is. Most of the install pix from uavionix site show typical Cessna wing tips, which curve inboard from the blade antenna, and allow the blade antenna to hang below the wing bottom surface.. If the requirement for unobstructed upper and lower mounting, I fear that the Sonex wingtip may require quite a different mounting than a standard nav light pattern, which of course I have already done.thanks for any pix. If it is more convenient PM me,or email me at nelsen.n502pd@gmail.com with the pix!
Joe Nelsen
Flying @78.2
n502pd

Postby Gordon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:40 am

MGL V6 Problems

Since I don't know how to create a new post (computer illiterate).....I will add on to this one and see what happens.

My new MGL V6 radio has failed after only 11 hours in my Onex. It would receive but not transmit for 15 or 20 minutes......then suddenly begin to work perfectly again. I had a "radio engineer" do all the checks, ground, PTT, switch headsets, antenna coax, main plug in the back of the radio, etc, etc. and could not find any thing wrong. He figures it is an "internal problem" in the radio. This radio has a 3 year warranty, it is one year old and has been "in service" for 3 months and only 11 hours of service time.

I contacted the U.S. distributor Rainbow Aircraft, in Torrance, CA......by phone and email 2 weeks ago and communicated with Matt Liknaitky. Matt said it seemed like an internal problem with the radio. He sounded like he would send a replacement.... that was 2 weeks ago and now NOTHING.....he will not respond to my emails....I phone and only get "voice mail".

What's up with this kind of "customer service".......! Has anybody else had this treatment from the U.S. distributor? Should I go straight to MGL in South Africa for help?

Has anyone else had problems with their V6 com? I loved this radio......until it didn't work...!

I fly out of a "controlled airport" and so if it suddenly won't transmit I can't even return to my home base (needed my handheld Icom A6 to return). Right now, sitting in the hanger, the radio is working perfectly fine but I can't trust it to go flying as I never know when it will quit.

Frustrated with MGL customer service......!

Gordon.......Hummel 2400....Onex
Gordon

Next

Return to Avionics and Instruments