Halo Headset - Fantastic Service from Quiet Technologies

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Halo Headset - Fantastic Service from Quiet Technologies

Postby sonex1374 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:11 pm

I've been using Halo headsets (http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=12) in my Sonex for the past couple years and have really enjoyed the lightness and sound clarity while flying. I recently damaged my headset plug while loading some baggage into the plane and the microphone quit working - the cord plug was broken internally, but the headset itself was fine.

I contacted Quiet Technologies via email and explained the problem. Phil, the owner of the company, explained they have a flat-rate repair service and that I could send it in and they'd fix it. When I told him that I was pretty good with a soldering iron and wouldn't mind replacing the mic cord lead myself, he promptly mailed out a new mic cord lead, free of charge. I got the part in a couple days and was able to perform the fix in about 20 minutes (open the control box, de-solder the broken lead, re-solder the new one, and screw the box back together).

Quiet Technologies makes a great product that I truly enjoy using, and now I'm an even bigger fan with their prompt customer service and more-than-fair support! If you're looking for a new headset, maybe give them a try - you might become a fan as well.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: Halo Headset - Fantastic Service from Quiet Technologies

Postby builderflyer » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:04 pm

In the early days of the Halo headset, Phil was in the process of improving the microphone circuitry from what he started with. Sent mine in for him to upgrade at absolutely no cost to me. Other companies typically want you to pay for the new and improved model. This headset should be considered standard equipment in Sonex products as it solves the reduced headroom problem and it reduces the cockpit noise level as well or better than the more pricey headsets. And, no batteries required. I love mine.

Jeff........your latest videos show you wearing a substitute Halo headset.......one without the shortened tubes. Now we know why.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Johns » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:01 pm

Am thinking of getting another headset for passengers. Would you say the Halos are quieter than a anr headset. The same, or louder.

John
Johns

Postby builderflyer » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:45 pm

Johns wrote:Am thinking of getting another headset for passengers. Would you say the Halos are quieter than a anr headset. The same, or louder.

John

John, I also have a Lightspeed Zulu and the Halo does a better job in reducing cockpit noise than does the Lightspeed. It's really important, however, to get a good seal with the Halo earplugs and that could be a problem for a passenger who has not used this kind of headset before. For an inexperienced passenger it might be better to use a conventional anr headset.........not much of a learning curve with one of those. If your passenger will be a "regular", then the Halo would be a better way to go.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby lpaaruule » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:18 am

I'm glad to hear others have had good service from Quiet Technologies

My Halo headset would intermittently stop working. Sometimes it would be fine for the entire flight, other times I couldn't get it to work at all, and had to use an old headset.

I contacted Halo support via email, and was told to check for moisture in the tubes, and that the beads could be removed, as they tend to clog easily. I tried to explain that it was both ears at the same time, but didn't get a response.

I started using my old DC headset most of the time. Finally, months later I decided that I would open up the Halo control box and check continuity to the plugs. I found that if I wiggled one of the wires attached to the circuit board, the headset would stop working. The problem ended up being a broken wire hidden inside the insulation. So I cut off about 1/4" of the wire , and re-soldered it in place. The Halo headset has worked flawlessly from that point forward.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby crahen » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:11 pm

I've used my Halo headset for maybe 5 years and they are still my preferred headset to use compared to my Bose, DC and Telex.
crahen

Return to Avionics and Instruments