Transponder & Radio Antenna

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Transponder & Radio Antenna

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:42 am

Looking for recommendations for transponder and radio antenna make/model and best location for installation.

thanks,

peter
SNB0021
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Re: Transponder & Radio Antenna

Postby n307tw » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 am

Pete you can't go wrong with the Garmin stuff.

For a radio the GTR200 has the audio panel and intercom integrated. Its comparable to the MGL v6 cost and others. It even has a mute function for music when ATC is talking to you. Very high quality at an experimental cost.

For a transponder the GTX335 is the cheapest option if you need just ADS-B out. If you need ADS-B in and out in one platform I would go with the GTX345 but it is much more expensive. I am using all of the remote mount options for the GTX335 and GTR200 since I have the G3X. The options I provided here are stand-alones.

For antennas and mounting; I mounted my RAMI radio antenna on the rear of the turtledeck near the vertical stabilizer. I put the RAMI transponder / ADS-B antennas under the seat on either side of the elevator linkage. For a WAAS GPS source I used the Garmin GPS Antenna and mounted it on the turtledeck just aft of the canopy.

All antennas need to be >/=3ft from each other according to Garmin. Obviously, this is just my recommendation, others do things quite differently. In terms of cost, the Garmin stuff is not unreasonable.
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby NWade » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:28 pm

Peter - This can be highly dependent on any EFIS or other digital instruments you have. Do you have any Dynon or MGL or GRT instruments?

—Noel
NWade

Postby 9GT » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:51 am

Can't help with location suggestions, but for a source of high quality antennas, this guy puts out a really nice stuff that is a lot cheaper than certified. A lot of us RV folks use his antenna's,,,including myself.
http://www.deltapopaviation.com/Home.html
David Clifford
Howell & Gladwin, MI
RV-9A: Under Construction (I'm a repeat offender!)
RV-10: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2013 N959RV
Cozy MKIV: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2007 N656TE
9GT

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:36 pm

NWade wrote:Peter - This can be highly dependent on any EFIS or other digital instruments you have. Do you have any Dynon or MGL or GRT instruments?

—Noel

I just saw this. I have the MGL MX1 with the MGL Trig ADSB package. I also have the V16 radio. Getting around to antenna now not sure where to put the MX1 GPS, the ADSB GPS, the transponder antenna or the radio antenna. I will also be be putting in an ELT as well.
Peter
Peter Hoey
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
pfhoeycfi

Postby BRS » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:31 pm

Peter,

I have the same display and radios. I put the 3 (have a Stratux for adsb-in) GPS antennas on the glare shield as far from each other as was practical. Xpnder (bean pole) antenna went on the belly just below the seat and only 6" from the xpnder (short coax). The V16 antenna is just behind the canopy on top. I plan to put the ELT just forward of the vertical stabilizer.

The COM antenna is where it was when I purchased the plane though the ELT was on the belly too. I don't like that location.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby BRS » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:29 am

While at Airventure I stumbled across this antenna installation on a gyroplane. Very clever.

Rudder_Ant.jpg
Gyroplane Rudder Antenna [click on image]
Rudder_Ant.jpg (229.57 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:05 pm

I purchased pre assemble antenna cable for my trig transponder and mgl radio and each is approx 2 - 3 feet too long. Is there a best way to coil or loop or serpentine the excess cable? Been searching on line and for every proposed way I find an argument against. I prefer not to cut the cables at this point ...
Peter
Peter Hoey
pfhoeycfi

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:30 pm

pfhoeycfi wrote:I purchased pre assemble antenna cable for my trig transponder and mgl radio and each is approx 2 - 3 feet too long. Is there a best way to coil or loop or serpentine the excess cable? Been searching on line and for every proposed way I find an argument against. I prefer not to cut the cables at this point ...
Peter

Amazon is your friend. Plenty of companies offering ready mades in 1ft increments. Much cheaper than the avionics shop. It is quite possible to get US made high quality cables for a lot less $$.

Think of the weight you will save towards your W&B! :-)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Coax cables are easy to make with the right tools. That's what I do.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to Avionics and Instruments