MGL Xteme Gen 1 and Gen 2

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

MGL Xteme Gen 1 and Gen 2

Postby pilotyoung » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:57 am

I have an unusual situation in that I have both a Xtreme Gen 1 and an Xtreme Gen 2 in my Onex. I use one for flight instruments and one for engine instruments. I was having variations in the airspeed readings and the airspeed would not come alive until almost 50 mph so I checked it for leaks and it had a bad leak. Using a syringe as a tester I ran the airspeed up to 50 mph and it went to zero in a couple of seconds.

The Gen 1 uses 1/8 npt fittings and tubing and the Gen 2 uses 4.6 mm tubing and it just has barbed fittings on the back on the instrument. I am trying to find a good way to use both size tubing and make a secure connection. A reducing T fitting with barbed ends would be ideal but I have not been able to find one.

I have the standard Sonex pitot-static tube on the front of the lower wing. The tubing fits over the ends of those tubes and I believe it is 1/8 internal diameter. It runs into the area behind the panel and I need to install a t into that tubing and juse a T with two size fitings, one for 1/8 and one for 4.6 mm.

Another issue is how to secure the plastic tubing to the barbed tubes on the back of the Gen 2 Xtreme. Currently I have a zip tie around each one but I don't think it is sealing the connectonsl I am thinking of using safety wire to secure those tubes. Does any king of sealer go on the barbs to help make the seal?

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? Does anyone know where I could buy a reducing t fitting to connect these different size tubes?

I know that is several questions but I want to fix this the right way and eliminate leaks.

Thanks.

John
pilotyoung

Re: MGL Xteme Gen 1 and Gen 2

Postby sonex892. » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:14 pm

I use 2 small zip ties oriented opposite each other on my extreme
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.