Sonex Crash at Big Bear Lake

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Sonex Crash at Big Bear Lake

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Two weeks ago an AeroVee powered Waiex crashed in a swamp area in southeastern Florida. The airplane had flown previously, but the pilot flying was the builder of the airplane on his first solo flight in the airplane.

I believe the second accident was this spring when a new owner crashed immediatly after takeoff from a private airstrip in southern Florida.

There was one other accident where a Sonex went missing this past April in central Florida and was just discovered by hunters last week.

As for yesterday's accident in southern California, this one hits very close to me among others, but I'd rather not go into specific details yet. As others have said, prayers to the family and friends of the pilot on board.

We need to be safe out there guys...
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Sx1552 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:52 pm

rizzz wrote:
SonexN76ET wrote:1. If you loose power, immediately and aggressively push the nose down to best glide speed!

This is off course very true if you loose power on take-off/climb out where you are already very close to stall speed with a nose up attitude.
During cruise/descent there is no need to push the nose down "aggressively" I'd say, you might actually want to convert some of your airspeed to altitude and pull the nose up to achieve best glide speed.

Very good points otherwise.

I agree. Best glide is just what it says. You have a better chance of getting there.
Sx1552

Postby pilotyoung » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:08 am

A good thing to practice at a safe altitude is to climb at best rate of climb and pull the power to idle. Hold the aircraft in the same attitude as during the climb speed. Count the number of seconds to the first sign of a stall, and the recover. After you recover and climb back to a safe altitude, do it again, climb at best rate of climb, pull the power to idle, and immediately lower the nose to the attitude that you think will give you best glide. You may want to make routine something that your practice regularly. It will do at least two things, (1) get you in the habit of lowering the nose to an attitude that will give you best glide, and (2) If it ever happens to you in real life, an engine failure at best rate of climb close to the ground, you will be in the habit of quickly lowering the nose to the proper attitude.
pilotyoung

Previous

Return to Sonex