Sonex Crash at Big Bear Lake

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Postby Sonex 772 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:59 pm

I had a guy call me last night to see if I still had may Sonex for sale, he was asking because a friend of his had bought one and he thought it might have been mine, I told he no, that I still have my Sonex for sale.. I guess the guy bought the Sonex out of Eureka CA area and the guy was over due by 4 hrs.. I called the guy that called me last night and he said his friend had crashed the Sonex at Big Bear Lake.. Unfortunately this was a fatal crash.. Witnesses said he lost the engine on take-off and crashed. I went to he FAA website and looked up the tail number and it says 4 cylinder for the engine so I am assuming it was a Aerovee.

Very Unfortunate!!!!

Mike
Sonex 772

Re: Sonex Crash at Big Bear Lake

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:07 pm

I can confirm a Sonex went down about 10:50 am local time yesterday near Big Bear Lake, CA.

This is a terrible event on many levels. Some of us are very close to the subject and this tragedy really hits home. It is also unfortunate that this is the third item related to our aircraft to hit the news in recent weeks.

Every time an event such as this occurs, we need to examine it and learn from it, regardless of the emotions involved or the personal attachment.

Be vigilant, build and fly safe. Know the limits of your ability and your aircraft/engine.

Most importantly, remember that your loved ones are counting on your return. No flight we make is so important it cannot wait.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Fastcapy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:32 pm

-----
Last edited by Fastcapy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Waiex 49 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:00 pm

My condolences go out to this guys family.

I am forever grateful I was over a 7,000 foot abandoned runway with plenty of altitude when my AeroVee ended its aviation career.

Be safe out there!

Don Bowen
N49YX
KLHM
Waiex 49

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:17 pm

I feel compelled to comment on the last three fatal crashes of Sonex aircraft. From the pictures I have seen, all three terminated with an unsurvivable stall/spin at low altitude. No aircraft is immune from a loss of control, so don't blame the aircraft. The lesson here needs to be:
1. If you loose power, immediately and aggressively push the nose down to best glide speed! DO NOT TRY TO MILK THE AIRPLANE INTO FLYING FARTHER AT 40 OR 50 MPH! YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO STALL SPEED AND THE SINK RATE IS TOO HIGH AT LOW SPEEDS ANYWAY. LAND STRAIGHT AHEAD UNLESS YOU ARE ABOVE 800 FEET.
2. If you sell a Sonex, insist the owner take the factory transition training or training with an LODA authorized instructor. Make sure you emphasize point number 1!!!
3. Get familiar with the tuning of the AeroInjector. It seems like several second hand owners of Sonex Aircraft have attempted to fiddle with the AeroInjector without knowing what they were doing and that may have been the likely cause of their loss of power events.
4. If you are transitioning from a larger aircraft to any light sport eligible type aircraft, make sure you get appropriate training. There are significant differences in handling and speed and attitude control that must be practiced. Don't be arrogant! Get the training!!!
Properly maintained, configured and piloted Sonex aircraft are exceptionally safe aircraft. Fly safe out there!
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby rizzz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 pm

SonexN76ET wrote:1. If you loose power, immediately and aggressively push the nose down to best glide speed!

This is off course very true if you loose power on take-off/climb out where you are already very close to stall speed with a nose up attitude.
During cruise/descent there is no need to push the nose down "aggressively" I'd say, you might actually want to convert some of your airspeed to altitude and pull the nose up to achieve best glide speed.

Very good points otherwise.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:44 pm

I am going to strongly suggest we all wait for the facts to come out in this case.

It has been barely 24 hours since the accident, a family has been tragically affected, and speculation is not helpful for anyone.

There have been numerous discussions recently about safety, which are encouraged, healthy, and badly needed. But I urge all of us to wait for the data on this one, especially.....

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks Robbie,

The three of us here in Central Ohio who knew of the pilot yesterday were following his progress coming home. Last night was a complete and utter shock of the news regarding this crash. Stunned, saddened, and uncertain why it happened. Please refrain from making rash judgements and comments until the initial NTSB report has been issued. I fear we will never truly know why this happened.

Rest in peace.
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby fastj22 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Ugh, why does it seem bad things happen in threes.
Condolences to the friends and family. Enough said.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Fastcapy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:23 pm

-----
Last edited by Fastcapy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Next

Return to Sonex