Aileron Trim Tabs

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Aileron Trim Tabs

Postby karmarepair » Tue May 30, 2023 12:20 am

http://photos.app.goo.gl/GYaDVrP77MNx9Pfu8

Not my airplane, this is Pete Fernell's solution. He uses a Dial A Trim to control it. Others have criticized the long unsupported length of solid Bowden cable as possibly exciting flutter. But it works for him, changing from flying solo to flying two-up.
karmarepair

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue May 30, 2023 8:02 am

Thanks Karmarepair

The bungee cord is a much cheaper/simpler ( a length of common bungee cord, a pully wheel to suit and a cam cleat) and cleaner (no external trim tabs, hinges, actuating mechanisms) solution.

There are thee related points that must be considered -

Fixed/sold connection to an aileron rod in the cockpit (the bungee can be anchored with a couple of zip ties) - must not interfere with aileron movement
    A pully that allows for the bungee to move through any angle from almost zero to 180 degrees - where to locate/secure it
    A boating cam cleat that will hold the bungee at the pilots preferred tension - where to locate secure it

The bungee itself must be strong enough to apply sufficient force to hold the aileron in the selected position and yet light enough so the pilot can easily overcome its influence

I just need to work out where all the components will be positioned so that the pilot can easily access & adjust the bungee during flight.

Had hoped someone else might have gone down this track to save me wearing out the few remaining brain cells:)
Skippydiesel

Postby rbarber » Tue May 30, 2023 3:37 pm

I have attempted this twice now, both times having clearance issues with the seat sling. It is surprisingly disturbing when your stick suddenly does not want to move because you pulled some Gs, slouched down in the seat, etc. So, use a lot of caution when placing the hardware. There is not as much room as it appears.

Regards,

R.
N157SX-"Sexy Hexy"
1200+ hrs.
rbarber

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue May 30, 2023 6:47 pm

rbarber wrote:I have attempted this twice now, both times having clearance issues with the seat sling. It is surprisingly disturbing when your stick suddenly does not want to move because you pulled some Gs, slouched down in the seat, etc. So, use a lot of caution when placing the hardware. There is not as much room as it appears.

Regards,

R.
N157SX-"Sexy Hexy"
1200+ hrs.

I am so pleased that someone else has gone down this track.

I would rather avoid making the same mistakes, as you have graciously admitted to - so any chance of some sketches/photos?
Skippydiesel

Postby rbarber » Tue May 30, 2023 11:02 pm

I am afraid not. Both times I placed the hardware aft of the pushrods. It's not easy to find a place to put it and make it easy to access.

R.
rbarber

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed May 31, 2023 7:52 pm

rbarber wrote:I am afraid not. Both times I placed the hardware aft of the pushrods. It's not easy to find a place to put it and make it easy to access.

R.

I understand - that why I was hoping someone (you) might have worked through the problems.

I sat in my Sonex yesterday, trying to see how it can be done - looks like it should be easy BUT as you have pointed out its not.

I don't think there will be a problem under the seat pan. There are multiple potential attachment points. It when the bungee cord must come up past the seat & pan - access is very limited and then there is the question of locating the cam cleats ?????????????????????
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Sonex