Need suggestions for fixing a slightly heavy wing

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Need suggestions for fixing a slightly heavy wing

Postby Waiex 176 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:04 pm

I have center controls and I had a heavy right wing. I tried lowering the flap, but later I discovered the right wing would "flex or creep" upward when in flight. I solved the issue by installing the flap stops recommended in the plans. I used heavy duty double sided tape and the angles to determine where the stops should be positioned. The left side did not flex for some reason, only the right.
John (N176WS)
Waiex 176

Postby pappas » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:27 pm

John,

I just saw this post re: your spring bias system for trim. I also fabbed a spring bias system using Ray Allen trim motors and levers. However, i would like to know what you used as a drum and motor? Any pics, or links to the hardware? Your system sounds simpler to me than mine and I would like to look it over.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby BRS » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:03 pm

have you considered using that RA trim servo in the aileron with a trim tab?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6075&hilit=tool+shed&start=10#p45849
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby pappas » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:06 am

I did consider that at first. However, I decided that I didn't want the servo inside the aileron so I wouldn't have to rebalance it. I also was not a fan of the big trim tab and attachment mechanism hanging out in the breeze. I wanted to set up aileron trim in the same manner as my RV-8 which has an internal spring bias set-up and no trim tab.

So, my RA aileron trim servo is mounted laterally under the seat attached to a lever that increases the pushrod travel and springs attached to the aileron push tubes.

But the drum idea is interesting and may offer more aileron travel and be more efficient than my lever idea. I just have not seen what drum John and where to get one.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Previous

Return to Sonex