Dial a trim

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Dial a trim

Postby John Monnett » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:22 am

Move the spring attach to the bottom of the pushrod... not the side. The plans will be corrected. Sorry for the confusion but this is one of those common sense solutions.
John Monnett

Postby pfhoeycfi » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:09 pm

I ran into the exact same thing! Here are some pictures of what I did to get around it:
https://paegelow.blogspot.com/2019/12/t ... tem-3.html[/quote][/quote]

That's what I did...
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby pfhoeycfi » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:37 am

Has anyone had to use stronger springs on the dial a trim? During initial setup the stick is suppose to be 1 to 2 inches off the carry through assembly full down on the dial. No way. I only get about a half inch with the trim dial set at full up elevator. In other words the fwd spring is stretched to nearly 9 inches and I get almost no up elevator. My controls are loose with no binding at all. I have no idea what the spec for the springs are which makes it difficult choosing another from McMaster. Any ideas?

Peter
Peter Hoey
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
pfhoeycfi

Postby Spaceman » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:40 am

pfhoeycfi wrote:Has anyone had to use stronger springs on the dial a trim? During initial setup the stick is suppose to be 1 to 2 inches off the carry through assembly full down on the dial. No way. I only get about a half inch with the trim dial set at full up elevator. In other words the fwd spring is stretched to nearly 9 inches and I get almost no up elevator. My controls are loose with no binding at all. I have no idea what the spec for the springs are which makes it difficult choosing another from McMaster. Any ideas?

Peter

I ran into the same thing. I ended up cutting a bunch of coils off of the spring to make it shorter/stiffer. I think I also drilled a new hole slightly higher on the stick to give the spring a little more leverage. You cant move it much higher though or the aileron bell crank will hit the spring. I think I have some pictures, I'll post them later!
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby Spaceman » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:32 pm

Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby pfhoeycfi » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:26 am

Ok great ill give that a shot...
Thanks,
Peter
Peter Hoey
pfhoeycfi

Previous

Return to Sonex