Dial a trim

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Dial a trim

Postby jrs » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:10 pm

I would also be very interested in information about your solution. Just started working on my panel today so this thread is very timely for me.
jrs

Postby Rynoth » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:33 pm

For what it's worth, and I'm only 18 hours into my Phase 1, but other than tinkering with my trim the first couple flights I haven't adjusted my dial-a-trim a single time since. I could imagine making some minuscule tweaks during a long cross country, but through phases of flight (slow/fast/flaps) I've felt no need to make trim adjustments. Personally I would consider electronic trim in my Waiex overkill. It's very different in terms of (lack of) trim adjustments needed to any other plane I've flown and I'm practically religious in my constant use of trim in those other planes.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby T41pilot » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:10 pm

Yup Ryan. I've seen a couple of posts that indicated that trim hasn't been used much which is great and one less thing to have to deal with when flying. But since I'm in the building stage, I think I would still like to install a trim system just to have it available in lieu of not having one at all just in case. When I built my Panel, I decided against the Big Red knob and installed a rocker switch for elevator trim so I've already committed myself. I won't feel bad if it doesn't get used much. If I do it right, It won't add much weight. I agree on flying other aircraft. I used the trim a lot when I used to fly my T41. Old ideas are hard for old timers to get rid of sometimes.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby DCASonex » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:57 am

Don't overlook the original Sonex trim lever. That is so quick and easy to use that I would never convert to the Dial-a-Trim. When landing and put down first stage of flaps, I flip the lever full nose up, and leave it there until finished. Set it back to center before takeoff. Not at all over sensitive when adjusting for level cruise flight.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby jowens » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:15 pm

I agree with David, I have had great luck with the original trim tab and lever. I don't believe it is an option for a waiex.
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
660 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

Postby pfhoeycfi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:22 pm

I'm putting the dial a trim in my Sonex B. The plans call for connecting the down spring to the channel just below the flap torque tube, the other end to the elev push rod. The problem is is that the torque tube is in the way...so if you connect the spring to the channel and the other side to elev push rod, the sprint has to bend around the torque tube (making contact to about 1/4 the circumference of the torque tube). All my parts are in the right place.

I'm curious if any B builders with Dial a trim see the same problem and if so, did you secure the end of the spring somewhere other than where the plans indicate?

peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby SonAl » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:41 am

Quick question for those with the manual trim lever: where did you source your cable to the trim tab from? I can’t find the cable/wire that is called out on the plans on the Aircraft Spruce website.

Thanks.
Al Arbuckle
Al Arbuckle
Sonex #617 (now B)
Aerovee, Nose dragger
Nova Scotia, Canada
SonAl

Postby sonex892. » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 am

SonAl wrote:Quick question for those with the manual trim lever: where did you source your cable to the trim tab from? I can’t find the cable/wire that is called out on the plans on the Aircraft Spruce website.

Thanks.
Al Arbuckle

I bought a length of replacement tubing from a bicycle store they had it on a roll and cut it to length. The wire is just piano wire about 1.5mm dia. Ebay is where I bought some replacement wire.
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby WesRagle » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:40 am

Hi Al,

I got the "music wire" at McMaster Carr. The housing from Amazon.

Ref:http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4358&p=37340&hilit=Manual+trim+for+a+Onex#p38190

Good Luck,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Spaceman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:55 pm

pfhoeycfi wrote:I'm putting the dial a trim in my Sonex B. The plans call for connecting the down spring to the channel just below the flap torque tube, the other end to the elev push rod. The problem is is that the torque tube is in the way...so if you connect the spring to the channel and the other side to elev push rod, the sprint has to bend around the torque tube (making contact to about 1/4 the circumference of the torque tube). All my parts are in the right place.

I'm curious if any B builders with Dial a trim see the same problem and if so, did you secure the end of the spring somewhere other than where the plans indicate?

peter

I ran into the exact same thing! Here are some pictures of what I did to get around it:
https://paegelow.blogspot.com/2019/12/t ... tem-3.html
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex