Loops with AeroVee

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Loops with AeroVee

Postby mike.smith » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:00 am

Does anyone have any tips to offer for good loops with an AeroVee? When I was doing loops during flight testing I seemed to be doing OK, but now I just keep stalling at the top; literally stalling the wing so a wing drops suddenly at the top, and I end up doing a lousy half Cuban eight. So I'm pretty sure I'm pulling too hard and exceeding the critical angle of attack. I'm starting by angling down to just over 120 kts. I have a G-meter, but I really can't be looking at it during the maneuver.

Thanks,
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Re: Loops with AeroVee

Postby mike.smith » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Is nobody doing aerobatics with their AeroVee Sonex? Aileron rolls are easy, stalls are easy to start and stop quickly, steep turns are a hoot. I know loops work, if I can figure out how to do them right, again :-) Go fast and pull hard doesn't seem to be doing the trick.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Mike,
I have not started loops yet as I am missing a few things like wings etc. Also it has been a long time since my 10 hrs in the pitts but the first thing that came to mind was the top. Are you at low G on top or still pulling hard? The less G/pull you have will keep you further from stall. To keep the loop round you have to let up. As long as you are slightly positive the oil and fuel should stay where it needs to be.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby rizzz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:38 pm

I've just done my second aerobatic session in my VW powered Sonex this morning, one the first one I nearly dropped out of the loops as well, just look at the video I posted last week in my Sonex #145 thread. Look at the airspeed at the top, I'm very close to 40KT at that point. Following the advise from another Aussie builder, this time around I used a bit more speed, just under 130KT, and pulled slightly less hard, about 3G. Worked much better, I'll upload a video shortly as I also did my first spins this morning.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby mike.smith » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:20 pm

rizzz wrote:I've just done my second aerobatic session in my VW powered Sonex this morning, one the first one I nearly dropped out of the loops as well, just look at the video I posted last week in my Sonex #145 thread. Look at the airspeed at the top, I'm very close to 40KT at that point. Following the advise from another Aussie builder, this time around I used a bit more speed, just under 130KT, and pulled slightly less hard, about 3G. Worked much better, I'll upload a video shortly as I also did my first spins this morning.

I'll have a look at the video. Thanks for the input :-)

The good thing about stalling my loops was that the first time I nearly ***t my pants! But after that it was just annoying that I wasn't getting it right, and it was just something to analyze.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby fastj22 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:24 pm

My first loop attempts in my Jab3300 waiex, I dropped out at the top of the loop entering an inverted spin. The plane recovered wonderfully. Glad I had some unusual attitude training before hand. Aileron rolls and barrel rolls are super easy. Spins are just too much fun. But good loops require some energy management.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby dhogue » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:49 am

Try working your way down to good entry level speeds. ie 140 138 136 ect.

Start at 140, momentary straight and level.

Pull, say 2 or 3 G: Pick one then adjust as needed using the 140 entry speed.

As the horizon disappears below the top of the cowl - shift your view to one of the wing tips and use rudder to keep the horizon at the same Fore/Aft point on each wing tip (to keep the roll angle level).

As the aircraft slows on the vertical up half you may need to increase the pull, slightly, to keep the front side of the loop round.

As you approach the top of the loop, roughly 20 degrees before the top of the loop - shift your view straight ahead and slightly up to capture the inverted horizon as it is coming to view.
Then:
Release just enough of the back pressure to unload some of the G while transitioning inverted over the top from the climbing front side of the loop to the descending back half.

The above may help in not arriving at the top of the loop with too little airspeed to fly over the top, too much G and wing roll angle.

Repeat the above varying the entry speed and initial pull till you find what works.

I have not flown a Sonex yet but the above loop entries work well in Robin Sport and Decathlon so speed and G will probably be different for you.
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Postby Onex107 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:06 pm

Something to consider when doing aerobatics. A standard Aerovee installation is not configured for negative G's. The way mine is installed, "0" or negative "G's" could result in fuel discharging from the tank vent and reduced or no pickup for the oil pump. Depending on how you have the crankcase vented, you could loose oil from the vent overboard. The engine will run a few minutes without oil pressure but I don't like the idea of gasoline spraying from the tank vent with the engine at full throttle.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby mike.smith » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Onex107 wrote:Something to consider when doing aerobatics. A standard Aerovee installation is not configured for negative G's. The way mine is installed, "0" or negative "G's" could result in fuel discharging from the tank vent and reduced or no pickup for the oil pump. Depending on how you have the crankcase vented, you could loose oil from the vent overboard. The engine will run a few minutes without oil pressure but I don't like the idea of gasoline spraying from the tank vent with the engine at full throttle.

My fuel and oil vents are at the bottom of the cowl for just that reason. The aerobatics that most (all?) of us do in the Sonex are generally positive G maneuvers specifically because of the fuel and oil issues. But nobody is perfect, so occasionally we're going to go zero or negative G just because we muffed a maneuver. Momentary zero and negative G's are just a fact of life, and generally aren't going to create any issues (IMHO).
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Return to Sonex