Canopy latch alteration for double hook- L angle source

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Canopy latch alteration for double hook- L angle source

Postby jowens » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi,
For my A model canopy latch alteration I had an order for a 1"x 3"x 1/8"x 24" L angle with aircraft spruce on back order for a couple weeks. I just received an email that they no longer carry this item and my order has been cancelled. Any suggested source for this L channel? 1"x4" would be even better. The 1/8" thickness seems to be the sticky point. 3/16" is common with this L leg width.
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
660 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

Re: Canopy latch alteration for double hook- L angle source

Postby NWade » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:02 pm

jowens wrote:Hi,
For my A model canopy latch alteration I had an order for a 1"x 3"x 1/8"x 24" L angle with aircraft spruce on back order for a couple weeks. I just received an email that they no longer carry this item and my order has been cancelled. Any suggested source for this L channel? 1"x4" would be even better. The 1/8" thickness seems to be the sticky point. 3/16" is common with this L leg width.

OnlineMetals.com doesn't seem to carry this in 0.125" thickness; but they carry some 2x3 and 3x3 angle in 0.1875" thickness. You might try inquiring with their "Fast Quote" form to see if they can get it in the thickness you need: https://www.onlinemetals.com/fastquote.cfm

Good luck!

--Noel
NWade

Postby vwglenn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:30 am

If you find some and there is some sort of minimum order...let me know. Been meaning to run that down myself. I was thinking I might order a piece of boxed 3x3x3 and cut it for the mod.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby NWade » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 am

vwglenn wrote:If you find some and there is some sort of minimum order...let me know. Been meaning to run that down myself. I was thinking I might order a piece of boxed 3x3x3 and cut it for the mod.

If you do go that route, here's a source: http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... top_cat=60
Note that they may be able to cut it into 2 angle pieces for you for a small fee.

Enjoy,

--Noel
NWade

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm in if anybody buys a big length.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Onex107 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:50 pm

I made latch hook additions out of 2x2 and soldered, yes soldered, them on to the originals. I used the solder sold in the Fly Market by the guy that solders holes in aluminum cans. Two years with no problems. Just match the shape of the bottom of the original with a duplicate notched piece and a V groove and solder as per instructions on the package of solder. I laid the assembly on a brick (refractory surface) to focus the heat and catch any that dripped through. Simple, easy, effective.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi all,
Is anyone thinking of the swing back canopy from the ASA association? Thinking it could be converted to the new B models also. Its the last one thing our legacy waiex needs.
If i was building new id go for this style. Much more stable canopy, will never slam open(against the wing shattering the plexi) or shut, or rip off plane across the ramp(yes a few unlucky stories on here) from a strong wind, how many have a swing back canopy , whats your thoughts? I think for taxi would be nice open w a breeze.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby NWade » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:36 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi all,
Is anyone thinking of the swing back canopy from the ASA association? Thinking it could be converted to the new B models also. Its the last one thing our legacy waiex needs.

It has some advantages, but it adds weight, complexity, drag (from the added external parts), and an opportunity to get your hands and other objects pinched in the components that move inside the cockpit.

The B-models have a much stronger and better canopy design then the legacy Sonex, so I don't think it is as important of a feature to consider modifying. But then again, I have a legacy Sonex and am OK with the stock design. :-P Maybe its because I'm used to flying sailplanes where a lot of ships have a side-hinged canopy, and also because we're often around dust-devils, thermals, and strong winds (including prop-blast from the towplane) that will damage almost any canopy design! My current sailplane has an advanced forward-hinged canopy with a gas strut and carbon-fiber components; and yet its still important to be very disciplined about keeping it closed and latched at all times.

--Noel
NWade

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi all,
Ive got the kit from dave augustine from asa , will put this on our 183B. A forward hinged canopy? That sounds way cool. The swing back though allows taxi w open . Will go with that. Will only go w roll servo also , pitch can easily be done w the trim system. . Will also try some small A320 style winglets. Just to see. Now back to our zenith cruzer.......come on sonex wow us w something new at osh 17!!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby wlarson861 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:18 am

I have the swing back canopy that I field engineered. The ASA used to have a plan sheet and video for sale. The blueprint gives ideas but the final dimensions are up to the builder. I saw a plane at Oshkosh that had installed a swing back. My wife took one look and thought we should do it also. There are a few advantages to the swing back, being able to taxi with it open is alone worth the effort to build it when it's a sunny day in the 80's or higher. It is safer to open on windy days without worrying about a gust breaking the canopy. The big one for me was ability for a passenger to enter and exit while the pilot stays in the aircraft. I gave rides to 4 nieces and nephews and didn't have to get out each time to let the passengers exchange. I originally planned to fly young eagles and this would reduce the passenger swap times and not leave a youngster alone in the cockpit while I got out. The disadvantages are a longer build time. Probably added 10 to 15 hours to engineer and install over plans design. Needed to buy extra material to fabricate the right side lock, wing walk ,swing arms, swing arm pivots and top swing arm. Extra weight (probably under 5 pounds), a little parasitic drag from the top external swing arm. I've been asked if I would do it again and the answer is yes. The functionality far outweighs the blood seat and beers it took to install.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Next

Return to Sonex