Tuft Testing & Fuselage Interference

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Tuft Testing & Fuselage Interference

Postby mike.smith » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:07 pm

I've always thought at the break in the fuselage and the intersection of the flaps with the fuselage, there must be a lot of turbulence and therefore drag. So I decided to do some tuft testing with and without a fairing. More tufts and more testing are needed, but initially it certainly appears that an intersection fairing improves things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FxvUdQCZTg

I made the fairing of .025 aluminum, and attached it with duct tape. It's patterned after the fairing I've seen on a P-51 Mustang :-)
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Re: Tuft Testing & Fuselage Interference

Postby DCASonex » Mon May 01, 2017 8:16 am

Mike,

Any photos of actual fairing ? Looks like it works on video, but cannot see what the fairing is.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby NWade » Mon May 01, 2017 11:14 am

mike.smith wrote:I've always thought at the break in the fuselage and the intersection of the flaps with the fuselage, there must be a lot of turbulence and therefore drag.

Mike - You beat me to it! I've thought the same thing and have been looking forward to doing similar tests when I complete my Sonex.

My first sailplane had no fairings or shaping of the wing root at the fuselage junction, and that definitely affected performance. There was a fairing kit you could get, which consisted of some thin fiberglass "sleeves" you slipped over the wing and taped to the fuselage. It worked great, and definitely lowered stall speed and improved the glide-ratio by 2-3 points. (Its not the greatest photo, but you can make out the wing-root fairings in the center of this photo)

On a faster-moving aircraft a fairing will increase the wetted area and this add additional skin drag - so it will negate some of the benefits; but a proper-sized fairing might produce a detectable improvement in performance. I'll post photos and info once I'm flying and I can test similar mods.

Thanks for sharing!

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Postby airscribe » Mon May 01, 2017 11:46 am

Very nicely done, Mike...thanks from I'm sure many of us...

Still building my Waiex, but already had planned to make and test similar fairings -- after completing my Phase 1 flying, of course.

Installed aftermarket fairings around the leading edge and at the flap/fuselage intersection on a Comanche 180 we used to own....they worked....so planned to model similar fairings for my Waiex -- leading edge and at the same spot you did -- and tuft-test them once finished with Phase 1....believe they have the potential to reduce parasitic drag more than any penalty for the increased whetted area...

Thanks for confirming this idea...

Dave
Dave Waiex #0216
airscribe

Postby sonex892. » Mon May 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Thats impressive Mike. There is definitely a big difference. Just wondering do you have the plans type flap gap seal angle attached to the fuselage? I cant tell from the video.

Steve
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon May 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi mike, all,
Keep us posted! When your done testing please post with dimensions, thickness of sheet, bend angles. Is it flat or curved? Hard to tell from pics. Neat!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mike.smith » Mon May 01, 2017 7:08 pm

DCASonex wrote:Mike,

Any photos of actual fairing ? Looks like it works on video, but cannot see what the fairing is.

David A.

It's the still image in the video, to the left of the "faired" video.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Mon May 01, 2017 7:09 pm

sonex892. wrote:Thats impressive Mike. There is definitely a big difference. Just wondering do you have the plans type flap gap seal angle attached to the fuselage? I cant tell from the video.

Steve

Yes, I do. So it still acts as a stop for the flap. The fairing is just layerd on top.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Mon May 01, 2017 7:10 pm

NWade wrote:
(Its not the greatest photo, but you can make out the wing-root fairings in the center of this photo)

I can see them. They look very much like the one I made.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi mike, all,
Keep us posted! When your done testing please post with dimensions, thickness of sheet, bend angles. Is it flat or curved? Hard to tell from pics. Neat!

WaiexN143NM
Michael

I definitely will. And if anyone else wants to give it a go, it never hurts to have more than one test subject.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Next

Return to Sonex