fatigue crack and break of tail wheel spring

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: fatigue crack and break of tail wheel spring

Postby DCASonex » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:05 am

Kerry,

Original question was compatibility between SS shim stock and titanium. I mentioned the bolts only because they were used with the titanium rods and that at one time there was considerable discussion of advisability of use of cad plated, but not SS, hardware with titanium.
Your reply makes it sound like you switched materials because you could not find drilled SS bolts :-) FWIW. I am still using SS bolts, but 5/16" size in main gear legs. That change was done with your okay well before bolt breaking was a topic of discussion when thought fit of my 1/4" bolts was too loose.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Darick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 am

I just read in another topic, one pilot raises the tailwheel asap on takeoff, when on grass fields. This sounds logical as the TW may be losing ground contact on a bumpy field anyways and directional control would be better accomplished with the rudder, with sufficient speed of course. Additionally there would be less stress on the TW and components.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby n502pd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:40 am

As a short update, (since Ti spring replacement), that is exactly what I have been doing...getting the load off the tail wheel be lifting it ASAP during the TO, but not as much as I had been doing. TO's seem better and a bit shorter, \maybe because of the better angle of attack? I am trying to do simular at landing, and am progressing ...I think,,,well! last night one of the airport buddies said my landing was very nice. I will take that at face value for sure. Grass runways that are not velvet smoothe are needing different approaches on TO and landings I guess. thanks for the info!
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Previous

Return to Sonex