Sonex fuel filler "drool cup" for sale

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Sonex fuel filler "drool cup" for sale

Postby kevinh » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi ya'll,

So a while back I decided to print a little cup to fit in on the sonex fuel tank neck (classic - I assume B models are different). To keep gas out of the cockpit in the case of a filling oops. It was designed to print in flexible filament which is great because it perfectly fits my plane. But it might not fit others and printing with flexible filaments is a real PITA so I couldn't really offer to print them for others.

So last night I decided to try a slightly different design. It has the following benefits:
* It just pops with enough free space to allow it to fit into an already finished Sonex
* Fits fairly tight to the neck, so you can just leave it installed all the time
* No need to attach a drain line, if you do happen to spill some gas just pop it out and dump it on the ground
* It should clear the vent line, but if you see any problems fitting on your plane just let me know
* Printed in PETG which is pretty fuelproof

I'll be printing a few of these up and selling them (mainly to pay for my hassle in printing and to donate some money). If you want one send me a PM with your address and paypal me $40. That $40 includes shipping and $5 donation to this site and a $5 donation to the sonex pilot association. If you don't like it just tell me you destroyed it and I'll give a refund of all but the shipping and the donations. Ideally the first customer would try it on their flying plane and if they want tweaks let me know and I'll tweak the design...

Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Re: Sonex fuel filler "drool cup" for sale

Postby Rynoth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:16 pm

This is a neat idea, I hope you sell a few!

I don't want to de-rail your sales post but as this is in the "Sonex" section on the forum I don't think it's inappropriate to mention alternatives to this potential issue. For myself, I just stuffed a few clean shop rags around the filler neck to absorb any potential spills, which can be removed and replaced if necessary. I haven't had many fill-ups yet so we'll see how effective that is. Your solution definitely seems simpler than some custom-built aluminum trays that I've seen others build and seem to have found good success.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Return to Sonex