Bending gear leg fairings

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Bending gear leg fairings

Postby bvolcko38 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:20 pm

Should the gear fairings be formed with or against the grain? Also should the be an initial bend with a rod between two 2x4's to start the leading edge radius? If so, what size radius?

I sent this to tech support yesterday, DSat. but I'm getting antsy waiting.

BV
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Re: Bending gear leg fairings

Postby lstinthot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:52 pm

I put a request in about bending with or against the grain in the past for other more structural parts and was told, nothing on the Sonex requires the grain to be considered. All parts can be made bending any way I can fit the part on the piece of metal. That said, I still try to bend against the grain.

It does not look like a dowel should be put between the metal prior to bending it. Looks like it is bent around the gear leg and pined in place. I am not that far along myself so this is just a guess.

Mike
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Postby mike.smith » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:54 pm

They are non-structural, so you should anneal them; apply heat with a torch to give an easier and smoother bend. You'll have to wear gloves to work the metal. I don't think it much matters about the grain.

For some hints, start at this link here, and look at the following few pages:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 272&row=31

I had to shorten my fairings CONSIDERABLY from the plans templates. I'm not sure where you are in your build, but the geometry of your gear will change drastically when the airplane is fully assembled and all the weight is on the gear. So I would recommend doing the gear leg fairings at the very end of the project.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby sonex892. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:06 pm

bvolcko38 wrote:Should the gear fairings be formed with or against the grain? Also should the be an initial bend with a rod between two 2x4's to start the leading edge radius? If so, what size radius?

I sent this to tech support yesterday, DSat. but I'm getting antsy waiting.

BV

Here is what I did. Glued an old 1" diameter broom handle to wood and screwed scrap wood to bench and threaded rod to pull it down. No heat treating needed this way.

Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby Rynoth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:34 pm

I used the same method as pictured above, 1" dowel from home depot, 2x4's screwed to the table, and bolts at either end to screw the dowel down into the mold. Worked great to set the radius. I did not however anneal, and the end result was still very springy and still takes a bit of effort to insert the hinge pins (I used 2 pins inserted from the middle of the fairing as suggested by many others here.) My fairings also ended up a good deal (i.e. an inch or 2) shorter than the plans. I used poster board to create an initial template, cut the almuminum sheet a bit large, and trimmed from there after my bend was made.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:38 pm

I just bent mine around a broom handle....and like Mike, I had to shorten it a lot from the plans length.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Return to Sonex