AeroVee Short & Soft Field Take Off

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

AeroVee Short & Soft Field Take Off

Postby mike.smith » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 pm

In my POH I only have information on a "Max Performance" takeoff. Does anyone with an AeroVee have any input or test data specifically on short field and soft field take-offs. It would help to have a starting point.

Thanks,
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Re: AeroVee Short & Soft Field Take Off

Postby radfordc » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 pm

Bob Mika can give you some input. He did some work on making efficient short field takeoffs and demonstrated taking off from grass in about 800 feet or maybe a little less.
radfordc

Re: AeroVee Short & Soft Field Take Off

Postby planeolbob » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi guys, here is what I do for a maximum performance take off. I set my flaps to 20° I put just a little forward pressure on the stick to make sure the elevator is not producing a downward force. I hope the brakes and give it full throttle. As I start my raw I keep the stick at its forward position until I feel the aircraft ready to fly. I then relax the stick pressure and the aircraft leaves the ground. I fly about 200 feet in ground effect and then slowly pull back on the stack. This allows me to leave the ground between 500 and 600 feet on pavement and a little more on turf. I have 5 x 5 wheels I hope this helps
planeolbob

Return to Sonex