Elevator Misaligned

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Elevator Misaligned

Postby mikebeavers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:48 am

I am purchasing a Sonex and have a question about the misalignment of the elevator. The left side is flush with the fiberglass tip while the right is up 1/2" from the tip. Anyone have ideas on why and how to fix this. Thank you. Mike BeaversImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J326AZ using Tapatalk
mikebeavers

Re: Elevator Misaligned

Postby Rick524 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:28 am

Place a straight edge across the horiz stab and elevator on each side of the vert stab and confirm
that the elevators are both at the same level. If they are, then remove the tip that's low and re-mount it
so its even with the elevator. Will require fiberglassing and paint and redrilling to match the existing holes
in the horiz stab......or you could just leave it the way it is.

Rick
Sonex 524
Rick524

Postby Sonex570 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:10 pm

when the builder connected the elevator horn to the two halfs it was slightly off, remedy is to remove elevator, unrivited either one side or both, make new elevator end ribs realign and re rivet, worst case scenario you may have to purchase a new elevator horn, cheap fix but a little time consuming....good luck!
N570SX
Center Stick TD
120HP Corvair STEEL-X
1956 PA22-150
1999 CGS Hawk Arrow
CX4 Trigear (Aerovee with GP Crank)
Sky Cycle trike
Gyrocopter
Pittsburgh PA
Sonex570

Postby NWade » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Note that you can't tell whether the elevator itself is properly aligned simply by looking at where the elevator meets the fiberglass tip. Its just as likely (perhaps more likely) that the fiberglass tip wasn't put on exactly aligned with the horizontal stab.

The best ways to check the elevator alignment are:
1) As Rick suggested, remove the rudder and place a straight edge across the trailing edge of the elevator and see if both sides line up.
2) Dismount the elevator from the airframe and place it on a flat table. Then see if both elevators can lay flush on the table at the same time.

Good luck,

--Noel
NWade

Postby mikebeavers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 pm

Thanks to you all for the replies. i think it sounds like a relatively simple fix. I am very excited to become a Sonex Owner!
mikebeavers

Postby Gordon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:22 am

Elevator Out of Alignment..........

I would carefully check the elevator alignment WITHOUT looking at the fiberglass tips........as one post mentioned......there may be a slight alignment problem with the tips themselves.

Be aware of this.........to remove the elevators is a BIG job......because you have to remove the rudder and vertical stab first.....then remove the elevators. On an RV the elevators can be removed individually and so is much easier but not on the Sonex.

Personally I would fly the airplane first.......before any money changes hands, and see if it effects the flight characteristics, and if not, likely I would not disturb anything and simply live with it. Also......this would be a "bargaining chip" to get a better deal on the purchase..........just saying.

Gordon........Onex.....Hummel 2400
Gordon

Postby kmacht » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 am

No need to remove anything to check alignment. Get one of those cheap angle gages, lock the elevator in the full up position and check the angle between the top of the horizontal stab and the top elevator skin across the whole elevator. It should be the same angle all the way across and equal on both sides. If it is then the tip just needs to be adjusted. If it isn't then the elevator needs to be removed, a new drive horn rib installed and the elevator re riveted to the drive horn weldments.

If you still want to check with a straight edge the only thing that needs to be pulled is the rudder. With the rudder gone the back edge of the elevator sticks out well beyond the vertical stab and you can put a straight edge on there between both elevator halves.

Keith
kmacht

Postby floridasonex » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Level the plane from side to side by placing a level across the open cocpit on the side rails. Adjust to level by changing tire presure.
Measure the leading edges of the horizontal stab right by the tips to the floor to establish it's level. Then measure the outer trailing
edges of the elevator to the floor to see if one is mounted higher than the other to the control horn. The most likely issue is that
they just mounted the tips at different positions. Or .. just go fly it.

RT
Trigear Aerovee Sonex 1579
Flying since 4/1/13
floridasonex

Return to Sonex