Differential Brakes

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Differential Brakes

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:46 pm

N21X wrote:Ive been also contemplating the brakes and scenarios. I like the simplicity of the single lever but feel I will also need the differential braking. So I decided to install two mini valves one for the Left and Right out of the Single lever brake system that Sonex sells. So if I need Right brake for instance I will close the Left valve and vice versa.

I purchased two mini valve from Grainger for about $6.00 each. I'll send some photos once installation is complete.

Just did the brakes on my B and this same idea occurred to me so I though I'd look to see if anyone has done it. Did you and how did it work? Which mini valves did you use? Years ago "everyone" was telling me to install toe brakes on my Sonerai II...I did...waste of effort..just not needed on a small airplane. I ended up going back to the original scheme but with two handles for the tight turns on a taxiway or ramp. Worked great. Two valves would accomplish the same thing...

peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Previous

Return to Sonex