Static ports/ tuft testing

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Postby builderflyer » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:56 pm

Has anyone installed static ports on the sides of the fuselage behind the baggage area similar as to what you'll see on an RV, for example? Or has anyone tuft tested the sides of the fuselage and has taken photographs of the testing? I'm looking to replace the plans-built static port tube located beneath the wing with a pair of the fuselage ports but unsure of the best location. What say you?

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Re: Static ports/ tuft testing

Postby racaldwell » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Art,

This seems like it would be easy to test out the perspective location since Sonex uses pulled rivets. You could punch out the mandrel from a rivet in your location to use as a static port. Connect a tube to the rivet and tee it into the existing static line. Those plastic squeeze clamps can be used to shut off each static source in flight to see if there is a change in readings.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby n307tw » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:01 am

Yes I have dual static ports on either side tee’d together going into my AHRS. Used pro-seal from Vans to hold them in place. This is a picture while I was wrapping before I sealed the rivets completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby builderflyer » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:53 am

racaldwell wrote:Art,

This seems like it would be easy to test out the perspective location since Sonex uses pulled rivets. You could punch out the mandrel from a rivet in your location to use as a static port. Connect a tube to the rivet and tee it into the existing static line. Those plastic squeeze clamps can be used to shut off each static source in flight to see if there is a change in readings.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057

Rick........your suggestion sounded good except that when I attempted to drive out a mandrel it wasn't going anywhere. There would have to be a bucking bar with a hole in it on the inside of the fuselage to keep from denting the skin. I've since bought a pair of Van's custom static ports which are very nice but they require a larger diameter hole through the skin so I'm reluctant to get started on that until I'm sure of a good location. I'll get around to doing the tuft testing but first I need to buy a camera to record the event. Thanks for your suggestions.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:30 am

Art,
I use a hollow rivet for the pressure source feeding my Angle of Attack probe (in the Dynon). Instead of pulling the rivet as usual I use a long rivet minus the mandrel and simply glue in the un-set rivet to the wing. I then apply a collar of safety wire on the inside of the skin to hold the rivet from backing out. This leaves a nice long and smooth rivet tail to attach the tubing onto.

You can do the same at multiple locations, and then when you find the best location fill the remaining holes with replacement rivets. No one will ever know the difference.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:24 pm

I am toying with the idea of static ports on the sides of the fuselage. Checking in to see if anyone has new success to report.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby pilotyoung » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 pm

On the RV-12 Van's uses a pull rivet with the mandrel pounded out. They also sell static ports about the same size that have a nut on the inside of the skin that holds them in place with a barb for the plastic hose on the inside. They are not expensive and definitely a step up from using a rivet.
pilotyoung

Postby pappas » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:18 am

I use the Vans static port kit and placed the ports in the same spot on the Waiex B that they were positioned at on my RV-8. Look at any RV-8 to see where they go. That position also made the tubing runs to the ADHARS easy, as my ADHARS is mounted on the top rear of the rear baggage compartment fuselage former.
Last edited by pappas on Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby Spaceman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:44 am

I asked Kerry if he could recommend any particular spot on the fuselage and this is what he said:

We don’t have any recommendation for external static ports. We take static pressure from an open tube inside the cockpit on some of our prototypes. Some people also take it from a tube open to the inside of a wing.

For what it's worth, I put mine on each side of the forward fuselage, mostly because it was close to where my ADAHRS is. Also the forward fuselage side panels are parallel with the airflow, which I figured would be good. On an A model since the forward fuselage is tapered, maybe it would be better to put them on the aft fuselage so you don't get a tiny bit of ram air effect into the static port. I dunno.

There are some pics of where I put mine here (not flying yet so I can't confirm if it's accurate or not):
https://paegelow.blogspot.com/2021/02/w ... icaoa.html
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby GordonTurner » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:23 am

Nicely done Chris!!!
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Next

Return to Sonex