cabin noise

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: cabin noise

Postby builderflyer » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:44 am

peter anson wrote:I have Bose A20s and agree that they work well but when I talk on the intercom to a passenger the microphone does a great job of picking up the cabin noise so that I am talking over a roar, which was the reason I was originally trying to reduce cabin noise. I have a Flightcom 403MC intercom connected to a Microair radio. If anyone has any advice on reducing that roar I would love to hear it. I have tried different mics on other headsets but no improvement.

Peter

Peter, you may already have the solution. I'm using the intercom built into the Microair 760 com radio and experience very little background noise when it is turned on. First, did you have someone verify that you don't have a "roar" on your transmissions as well? Assuming no roar there, then try turning up the sidetone adjustment on the Microair until you're satisfied with the results using your intercom. That should work for you.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Area 51% » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:48 am

On every WW2 show I've ever watched that involves pilots and winged bomb carriers, the pilot's microphone seems to be getting it's signals from the user's voice box.
Was that just a handy place to keep the push-to-talk switch, or is there some lost technology we need to revisit for our noisy aircraft?
Area 51%

Postby lpaaruule » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:12 am

I was skeptical that the Bose a20 headset would be that much better than my passive halo headset. However, based on the previous recommendations, I found a set on Ebay for a good price. Wow, you guys were right, the difference is incredible. I like starting the engine, then turning the headset on just to marvel at the difference. :-)

Thanks!
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby builderflyer » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:30 am

lpaaruule wrote:I was skeptical that the Bose a20 headset would be that much better than my passive halo headset. However, based on the previous recommendations, I found a set on Ebay for a good price. Wow, you guys were right, the difference is incredible. I like starting the engine, then turning the headset on just to marvel at the difference. :-)

Thanks!

Paul, happy to hear that your Bose is doing the job for you. My experience is different from yours in that the Halo in the ear headset works better for noise reduction than either my Lightspeed Zulu or a Bose when I had a chance to compare it with the Lightspeed. However, It is necessary for me to use the smaller ear plugs (not the typical large yellow ones) with the Halo to get a tight seal in the ear canal. Just my observation.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby N190YX » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:45 pm

Keep in mind that, while the Bose's active noise reduction (ANR) is as good as any, its passive (without ANR) noise reduction is very poor. I have both Bose and Lightspeed Zulu headsets in my airplane, they are both excellent, but the Bose is essentially useless if the batteries go dead. The Lightspeed and other headsets I have tried in the booths at Oshkosh have good passive noise reduction, but not the Bose.
N190YX

Postby Corby202 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:16 pm

The best improvement I get with my Headset is after a haircut. The cups seal much better. Its just I prefer to spend money on my plane rather then helping the barbers son go to University.
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby radfordc » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:42 pm

radfordc

Postby waiexpilot3mj » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:44 am

As far as cabin noise goes I probably have one of the loudest due to my Corvair installation. I use a Zulu3 headset. I have a video on youtube that demonstrates the noise as I hear it without and with the Zulu3 ANL off and turned on. It is located at approximately 6:20 into the video. Check it out at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxyxXrtEm-Y&t

Mike
Waiex/Cleanex 23
Florida Sonex Association
Mike January
Founder
Florida Sonex Association
Waiex 23 (cleanex)
Corvair 3.0
waiexpilot3mj

Postby stroudj002 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:28 pm

I have tried both the Bose A20 & Lightspeed Zulu 3 headsets either one did not provide the sound dampening that I was looking for. I have been using CLARITY ALOFT HEADSETS for 4 years, I have been well pleased with it performance. Does not require batteries fo work. The only negative is that you have to change the earbuds about once a month.

Jim Stroud
stroudj002

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:00 pm

Everyone is different. Physical shape of head, beards, sideburns , hair disrupting over ear seals, your remaining hearing range as you age. 'in ear buds and sizes and how good the seals are. Even if you are using in ear hearing aids. One person's perfect headset is another person's poison.

This is when you need a good pilot shop with a range of headsets to try. And this is when it is a shame that the online world has put them out of business.....
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Previous

Return to Sonex