Sonex Canada to US Ferry Flight

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Sonex Canada to US Ferry Flight

Postby Flynic3 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:41 pm

CANADA to US FERRY PILOT WANTED!

I have a Legacy Sonex we are in the process of purchasing based at CARP (CYRP) in Ottawa, Ontario, and we would like to have it flown to 63M Hermann Municipal airport. It is a 795nm trip and with fair winds would take roughly 6 hours flight time, along with 2 fuel stops. Any recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated! The biggest issue we have run into at this point is the 14 day quarantine order Canada currently has in place. I know ferry flights in and out of Canada without the 14 day quarantine are possible, the company I work for has flown their DA-42 to the Diamond factory twice for maintenance issues since the order has been in place. From what I understand they simply stated they were crew members on a ferry flight, and did not have any issues. If anyone knows of a way to make this happen or at least has some advice... it would be much appreciated! If you are able to handle the ferry flight yourself and have time in type... please message me.
Flynic3

Re: Sonex Canada to US Ferry Flight

Postby Gordon » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:37 pm

Ferry Flight.....reversed ........

A Canadian friend of mine bought an RV-6 in Alamogordo, New Mexico back in May and had a ferry pilot fly it into Canada (southern Ontario). Passengers were not allowed......only flight crew... so no quarantine.

The ferry pilots buddy then flew up from Toledo, Ohio and picked up the American ferry pilot and they flew back to Ohio. Neither guy had to quarantine when they arrived back in the U.S.A. because they were considered pilot and crew. No passengers would be allowed this exception.

This flight occurred on June 1st. I imagine the rules have not changed. You should be okay as long as your passenger is considered "crew". That is the loophole.

Gordon........Hummel 2400.....Onex C-IODB
Gordon

Return to Sonex