Gust Lock

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Gust Lock

Postby crahen » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:17 pm

Hello,
What do folks do to lock the elevator and ailerons into place when parked during a windy day/night? I've used the seat belt, but it really isn't terribly effective. Thanks.
crahen

Re: Gust Lock

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:31 pm

I’ve never had any issue with using the lap belt to secure the stick. I pull the stick all the way back, secure the seat belt and then pull it tight to lock the stick full aft. It’s always worked for me!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby crahen » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:36 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:I’ve never had any issue with using the lap belt to secure the stick. I pull the stick all the way back, secure the seat belt and then pull it tight to lock the stick full aft. It’s always worked for me!

I guess it works well enough for the elevator, but seems like the stick can easily move side to side, but maybe not an issue?
crahen

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:12 am

I have a small bungee attached to the firewall with a loop that goes around the stick to hold it full FORWARD so the plane is trying to dive in a blow from ahead and if the wind is astern - then it will tend to hold the tail down. It stows on a small hook on the underside of the panel when not in use. This mimics the intent of the Cessna and Piper gust lock.

For the ailerons - I have shaped aluminum clamps (felt lined) that bridge the flaps and ailerons together.

IMO - secured full back on the stick is not a good option. A 30-40 knot blow from ahead (not uncommon around here) will leave the plane trying to climb out her tie down ropes and when astern will tend to lift the tail.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby DCASonex » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:54 am

Also have mine rigged to tie in the full forward position to prevent tail from being lifted by gust from behind. Have a small channel under my A series panel that holds breakers etc, and have a bracket built into that to which a simple strap attaches so as to hold stick forward and keep it centered. Simple strap to bracket secured under the panel If not centered, a gust from behind can also lift one wing.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby N265DF » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:48 pm

Made a 1" channel out 1/16 aluminum, about 1ft long, bolted one end to the bracket on center of the flap handle, bolted the other end to the center stick, (drilled a 3/16 hole and welded washers to each side to minimize wear on the control stick). Locks the position of elevators slightly nose down (similar to control lock positions on factory planes). Also binds control stick in upright position for ailerons. Use wing nuts for quick attach and removal (taking great care to not drop during process) Plane no fly yet so no test for actual conditions. Better put note in bold on pretake-off check list or attach big red flag to the control lock
D Frey
N265DF

Postby mike.smith » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:27 pm

I never liked the seatbelt trick. So I went the opposite way and have the stick pushed full forward, and held with a strap that wraps around the flap tube in front of the spar tunnel. One of the problems with the seatbelt trick, in New England, is that puts the elevator "up" and lets snow accumulate.

I explain, and show what I do with the strap, on my YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbgek8-X14o
- See 27:13 into the video

The strap works well, but if you tie down your airplane, as I did for 5 years, I highly recommend wing covers. 1) it protects your wings from bird poop and frost, 2) it keeps the ailerons from moving. WELL worth the investment!
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Matt541 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:39 am

I explain, and show what I do with the strap, on my YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbgek8-X14o
- See 27:13 into the video

That's exactly what I'm doing too. Totally forgot I got the idea from your video...

These are what I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDWN88T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had multiple uses in mind which is why I got a 4 pack. There's lots of different colors and sizes too. They're a bit long for the gust lock, but you can easily cut off the excess and sew the end over.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Return to Sonex