Heating (again)

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Heating (again)

Postby gyroron » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:20 am

Maybe something to consider is adding heated motorcycle grips to your controls, and a heated seat? Works wonders on motorcycles, and even in my car and truck, If I turn the heated seat on, I can be warm with the HVAC heat turned off or to a not very hot setting.
Ron Awad
Legacy Model Waiex TD
3300 Jabiru
Charlotte NC area
gyroron

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:55 pm

I’m in the same boat as Robbie and Ron. Battery heated clothes and elements seems like a good solution for the Sonex. I purchased a Milwaukee battery heated coat from Home Depot and that, combined with wool socks and an insulated hat, keep me plenty warm. I’m comfortable flying into the mid 20’s and if it’s colder than that I don’t fly much anyway (can’t get my engine and oil warm enough).

Just my two cents. I always like solutions that don’t add weight to my airplane
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Rynoth » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:53 pm

The greenhouse effect of our wonderful bubble canopy is significant. Last week I flew up to 9500' (OAT was probably near or below 0 degrees F, I need to add a sensor) and I was perfectly comfortable in the same clothes I was wearing on the ground at 40 degrees F. Then I flew below a high cloud layer that blocked the sun, and it didn't take long for me to get chilly.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Previous

Return to Sonex