Prebuilt Spars worth the expense?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Prebuilt Spars worth the expense?

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:00 pm

If you want to build just to build, don’t worry about any of the options.

If you want to fly and you can afford the premade angle kit, do that one first.

Then, if you can afford the finished spars, get those.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Scott Todd » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:17 pm

You (We) started down this path because you want to build. If you just want to fly, go buy a flying one. Its much cheaper ;) Guys like Michael above and Graeme are regular posters that have been having a blast with their purchases. But having said that, its a lot to build.

The Spar is basically a Robot build where you just follow the directions and a week later you are done. When you get to the panel, rigging, painting, cowls, canopy, etc, a lot of decision making and such can slow you down and you will look back on that spar build and think it was a piece of cake and flew right by.
Last edited by Scott Todd on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott Todd

Postby mike.smith » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:34 pm

Whatever makes the most sense to you. That's probably not very helpful. I scratch built, and money was a huge concern. The spars were not difficult to build, they just took a bit of head scratching to figure out at first. I've never built from a kit, so I have no idea what it's like to have a pre-built anything (except the welded stuff). My pace was an average of 500 hours/year building. My Kitlog wing pages start here: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 07&row=347
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby dbdevkc » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:06 pm

10 years on the fuselage? You might want to get the pre-built spars. With 20-20 hind sight they are not that difficult to do, but took me forever to get done because I had no confidence in my abilities with solid rivets - and there are a couple of spots in particular that are relativity difficult (IMO) to rivet. After doing 90% of one spar I had an experienced builder come take a look and he gave hit approval and basically said looks good -keep going.

Depends on money availability and confidence in riveting ability. But as it turns out, the riveting is not as hard as I initially thought.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby Darick » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:31 pm

Once I built the tail kit, I knew I could do the wings and fuselage. However I didn't trust myself to make the most important part (IMHO) that would keep the wings on. So I bought the factory spar knowing it was built by experienced hands. When I drilled the completed wing/spar assembly to the fuselage, it was exactly spot on.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby pappas » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:21 pm

Since I built a legacy Waiex and a B model, I have both built the spars and used the factory prebuilt. The prebuilt certainly allowed me to move along faster but building the spars myself was not hard to do. It just took about 10 hours per spar if I recall. Even with building the spars myself, I finished and flew the legacy Waiex in 5 1/2 months.
Trust yourself. If you can build the rest of the airframe, you already have the skills to build the spars. Buy something cool for the panel instead.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby OnAirCreative » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:48 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences with me.

Kevin
1439 Sonex
OnAirCreative

Previous

Return to Sonex