Cooling air side outlets

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Cooling air side outlets

Postby Area 51% » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:50 pm

Rynoth wrote:
Area 51% wrote:Ryan, Where do you have your CHT probes mounted? My engine seems to be running hotter than expected at 25hrs, but I'm wondering if it might only SEEM to be running warm because my probes are under the spark plugs and not screwed to the cooling fins as suggested by Sonex.

Mine are installed per the Aerovee installation in this PDF:

http://www.aeroconversions.com/support/ ... nstall.pdf

They're about 1/4" outside the cutout for the top spark plugs, at either the 2 o'clock (pictured) or 10 o'clock position depending on forward/aft cylinder spark plug. The hole is into the meat of the cylinder head, not into a fin.

I have a cylinder head that came off the factory Xenos. The probe's screw hole is centered over the outermost head stud and an inch above the stud's center. I guess they have a "do as I say, not as I do" policy. The current owner reported very low CHTs.

Shoot me your email and I'll send you a picture.
Area 51%

Postby estegen@outlook.com » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:18 pm

Hi Kai , I have added the Sonex B vents to the side of the cowling as well as increasing the exit underneath . I can now clime to 3000 ft with CHT just under 400 deg F , This made the most difference from all the adjustments . Also the fuel burps are no longer an issue , using mogas 98 . Here are some pictures .
Attachments
cowling inlet seize.jpg
cowling inlet seize.jpg (60.19 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
cowling inlet seize 2.jpg
cowling inlet seize 2.jpg (60.05 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
cowling 5.jpg
cowling 5.jpg (43.47 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
cowling 6.jpg
cowling 6.jpg (92 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
estegen@outlook.com

Postby pappas » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:55 pm

I am really curious about your top-mounted NACA ducts. Are they positioned to deliver air to the high-pressure area above the cylinders inside the aerovee baffles? The images look like they are dumping air behind the baffles.
I have been considering putting in a NACA duct like this over my #3 Aerovee turbo cylinder which is my hottest by 50 deg f, my hottest.

Was wondering if it might work. I have already added 2 vents on the underside of my B cowl. That did seem to help some but I am in Phoenix and it is summer now so I would like to be able to stay under 400 deg f during climb at 80-90 mph.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby Kai » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:18 am

estegen@outlook.com wrote:Hi Kai , I have added the Sonex B vents to the side of the cowling as well as increasing the exit underneath . I can now clime to 3000 ft with CHT just under 400 deg F , This made the most difference from all the adjustments . Also the fuel burps are no longer an issue , using mogas 98 . Here are some pictures .

Thanks!

Very interesting.

I was worried the side outlets could draw air from the bottom ones: Sonex Tech also pointed out that this could be an issue but emphasized that they had run no tests.

My cowling now sports the side inlets as well. Airtest scheduled shortly.

Kai
Kai

Postby estegen@outlook.com » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:58 am

The naca ducts supply air to the rear of the engine , the aim was to cool the fuel system because I had burps using mogas 98 . Because the bottom opening still exists as well as the side B vents this did not effect the negative pressure required to cool the engine . I tried one modification at a time , the biggest difference was adding the side vents .
estegen@outlook.com

Postby pappas » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:47 am

Thanks for the info!
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby Kai » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:34 am

estegen@outlook.com wrote:The naca ducts supply air to the rear of the engine , the aim was to cool the fuel system because I had burps using mogas 98 . Because the bottom opening still exists as well as the side B vents this did not effect the negative pressure required to cool the engine . I tried one modification at a time , the biggest difference was adding the side vents .

That’s nice to know- what a relief!

My scheduled cooling test suddenly came much closer.

Thanks
Kai
Kai

Postby Scott Todd » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:11 am

Its almost always about more exit area. I look at so many experimental airplanes and tell them this yet they are always hesitant to do so. Everyone is worried about speed. Many people are convinced 150% not counting the muffle, exhaust, vent lines, etc is enough. NOT!
Scott Todd

Postby Kai » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:01 am

Agreed!

No argument.

The short story is that #0525 had the factory standard bottom outlets and worrysome cht’s. After a bit of thought, some inquiries, and advice on these pages, I bit the bullet and installed the side outlets/scoops as well.

Result: the cht’s no longer keep me out of my beauty sleep.

As you said: it’s always about outlet area.

Thanks
Kai
Kai

Postby sonex1084 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:49 pm

I just installed the B model side vents on my Legacy cowl and love them!! Originally I expanded the bottom exit as suggested by other builders but still wasn't happy with the results. I flew the first flight with the side vents installed today and the results were immediately noticeable on climb out. I have an AreoVee 2.1 with 30 hours on the engine and 16 hours on new cylinders. Here are the results of the flight just prior to installing the side vents and the flight today. I flew at the same altitude, fuel flow and RPM for both flights. The only variable was the OAT. It was 68 degrees before the change and 58 degrees after the addition of the vents. CHTs before the side vents: #1 378, #2 371, #3 364, #4 328. After adding the side vents: #1 349, #2 356, # 3 335, #4 322. It appears the vents greatly improved the cooling of the back two cylinders. I flew the last flight with the original bottom vent open. My next flight I will close the bottom and report those results. I'm glad I added the side vents.
Matt McKee
Sgt USMC
SGT Raleigh Police Dept
FO GoJet Airlines
Retired Old Man
Sonex 1084
sonex1084

Previous

Return to Sonex