Tail Strike on grass field

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Tail Strike on grass field

Postby buffmaintainer » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:13 pm

Been putting some hours on my Jabiru 3300 Sonex trigear, and i am really struggling with grass strip tearing up my plane. On takeoff I have a issue where if I hit a bump my rear tailskid smacks the ground. It has since slightly bent and im concerned about damaging the fuselage. I've seen the taildragger versions come down so hard that it splits the tube that it's mounted in, so I know the chances of hurting it is small. But it's very embarrassing.

I've got the rollout pretty much mastered, i can keep the nose up till about 40 knots but one bump and it smacks. Any suggestions other than moving to a different field?
buffmaintainer

Re: Tail Strike on grass field

Postby gyroron » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:40 am

are you using flaps when taking off?
Ron Awad
Legacy Model Waiex TD
3300 Jabiru
Charlotte NC area
gyroron

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:10 pm

Random:

Technique - pulling off too early?
Technique - Rotating too much?
CG - is the plane in CG? Or very aft CG?
Thrust line - the engine thrust line is correct?

YMMV
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby SonexN76ET » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:35 pm

Thinking outside of the box, what if you replaced the tail skid with a tail wheel?

Also Sonex says to only use a tri gear occasionally on rough fields if I recall correctly.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby Onex107 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:18 pm

On the first half a dozen landings in my three wheeled Onex I had tail skid strikes several times on hard pavement. I was simply over flaring to try to control/slow the landing speed. It makes a really bad noise on concrete. That was the result of many years in a high winged Cessna. I find with the Sonex you have to control your final approach speed instead of waiting till the flare. That's where the AOA becomes the most important instrument on the panel.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby frkatck@yahoo.com » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:41 pm

Onex107 wrote:On the first half a dozen landings in my three wheeled Onex I had tail skid strikes several times on hard pavement. I was simply over flaring to try to control/slow the landing speed. It makes a really bad noise on concrete. That was the result of many years in a high winged Cessna. I find with the Sonex you have to control your final approach speed instead of waiting till the flare. That's where the AOA becomes the most important instrument on the panel.
Last edited by frkatck@yahoo.com on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frkatck@yahoo.com

Postby frkatck@yahoo.com » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:42 pm

I’ve flown Cessna 150’s and 172’s. I’ve also flew a Sonex, even had emergency landing in the Sonex. (Got rid of it). Never have I dragged the tail in a Cessna unless I tried. (Had to really try) You should take some instructions with a good instructor. Don’t fly till you do
frkatck@yahoo.com

Postby BRS » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:59 pm

Are you sure of your CG location? If so, then I agree with frkatch.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby buffmaintainer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:15 am

Been practicing rolling out and not flaring near as much, Also replaced the 90 dollar skid and the placebo effect has taken hold. no skid yet. thanks guys!
buffmaintainer

Return to Sonex