Nose gear flex and wheel bearing movement

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Nose gear flex and wheel bearing movement

Postby 1AviationNut » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:23 pm

I am putting a tri gear back in the air after the owner passed away in a tragic construction accident. I have noticed a lot of movement and flex in the nose gear and nose wheel. Is there an upgrade to the fork? Are the bearings known for slop? 57 hrs on it at this point but was told that the owner would “drive it around the field” last year. Any ideas? The mount and gear leg look good with no flex. The most flex is from the fork down. The tire will actually rub the fork if pushed enough. Any ideas?
Patrick Handel
1953 Piper Tripacer N8934C
Sonex A N341PD
1AviationNut

Re: Nose gear flex and wheel bearing movement

Postby Jerry09w » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:00 am

There should be no play in the bearings, the axle through bolt should be tight enough to take up all play. If the spacers are too short, a 5/8 id washer may help. I have also found th fork weak, I have had mine bend in a crosswind landing. Being on a rough runway, I have changed my fork to a heavier aluminum one large enough to use a 500x5 tire which does a better job of dealing with with cracks in the pavement.
Jerry09w

Return to Sonex