Solution to fast landings?.....

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Solution to fast landings?.....

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:30 am

My landings have been a bit fast of late. Picked this up at a yard sale today for $10. A chute used to recover test Stinger missiles. Kevlar drogue chute pulls the main chute out a tiny stowage bag where it is all stuffed in and it is attached to the missile with a Kevlar line.

So attached to my tailwheel rod. Just crack the canopy and chuck it out on fast landings. :-)

Could also do some more spin testing at farther aft CG’s and if I get too close to an unrecoverable flat spin – use it as a spin chute to help recover.

20210424_124319EDIT.jpg
Ground Test

(Oh I so wish this was April 1st! It’s true enough that I picked the chute up for $10 and it was from a Stinger test. The rest – I just tied it on and let the wind do its thing. No plans to actually do this.)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: Solution to fast landings?.....

Postby radfordc » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:29 am

Next step up from what the hang gliders are using.

http://www.christian-ciech.com/safe-lan ... gue-chute/
Attachments
7D2_1655-1500.jpg
radfordc

Postby BRS » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:30 am

You could attach that chute to the canopy hinge-pin then using a longer rope (just longer than your hing-pin) also attach it to the canopy. Now you'll have a system to quickly jettison.
;-)
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby XenosN42 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:43 am

Hi,

I flew hang gliders for 10 years, logging over 500 hours. I used a chute to shorten the landing distance. It worked! Once I was able to land in a 200 by 200 foot field which was surrounded by 20 foot trees. Ahh, fun times!

Just looked at the picture a bit closer. Must be a beginner. His hands should be on the downtubes not the cross tube. (His hands should be on the vertical tubes not the horizontal one.) For a good landing you need to increase the angle of attack, ie flare, by raising those hands up. ala Superman.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:36 pm

BRS wrote:You could attach that chute to the canopy hinge-pin then using a longer rope (just longer than your hing-pin) also attach it to the canopy. Now you'll have a system to quickly jettison.
;-)

Now that's an interesting idea...... ;-)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Return to Sonex