Engine controls placement - moving from left side to center?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Engine controls placement - moving from left side to center?

Postby devo » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:37 am

I'm in the market for a Sonex purchase. I've found a few with the throttle, mixture and prop controls on the left side. Is it difficult to move them to the panel lower center? Thanks!
devo

Re: Engine controls placement - moving from left side to cen

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:51 pm

Welcome to the forums! The center controls are also called the "sport trainer" configuration in Sonex Speak.

I don't think it would be too difficult to move the engine controls. Keep in mind though that you should also move the flap and brake controls to the center. Otherwise you have to switch hands back and forth.

Flaps: you could go electric, which would make them easy to move. I have mechanical flaps. The flap torque tube has two tabs that you can bolt to - left side or center. You have to make the sport trainer flap/brake stops which rivet to the spar tunnel in the center.

Brakes - sort of like the flaps, except you will need to attach the master cylinder to the square floor stiffener in the center of the cockpit.

You will probably need to move the holes in the firewall also.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mike.smith » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:39 pm

If you are thinking about the switch because that's what you are used to, I can tell you from experience in many different aircraft with controls on the right and left, that it takes 1 or maybe 2 flights to get used to controls (throttle, flaps, brakes) on the other side. No matter if you are right handed or left handed. That doesn't need to be a factor in your decision. I used to fly my Sonex (left controls) up to NH to flight test a friend's Waiex with the controls in the center (so on my right side). After testing I would sometimes fly with him in the left seat and me in the right. Your brain can go either way once you've done it.

My personal preference for a Sonex is to have the controls on the left side, in no small part because putting them in the center gives you no room to stretch your legs out to the right, or even to casually let your right knee flex to the right. I feel even more cramped in a Sonex with center controls than with left controls.

I also have a fire extinguisher mounted on the center floor structure where it's easily reachable by me or a passenger. I couldn't do that with center controls.

My 2 cents.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby devo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:16 pm

Thanks, gentlemen! Now I have more potential Sonexes to consider
devo

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:26 am

Throttle in left hand, stick in right and a bulged canopy. If an AeroVee - left turning engine. Like flying a Merlin powered Spitfire or a Mustang...... Well..... Less about 900hp...... :-)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Area 51% » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:21 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:Like flying a Merlin powered Spitfire or a Mustang...

What am I missing? Every Mustang and Spit I've seen has the prop spinning clockwise from the cockpit.
Area 51%

Postby peter anson » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:07 pm

The later Griffon powered Spitfires had an anti-clockwise rotating prop so I guess your Aerovee Sonex is just like one of those, less about 2000 HP.

Peter
peter anson

Return to Sonex