Todd's Canopy

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Todd's Canopy

Postby a.cutler1001 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:41 pm

I recently damaged my Todd's canopy on my legacy sonex. Is there any chance anyone out there has a spare they would be willing to sell me since Todd's no longer exists. Unless I can successfully weld the acrylic on mine (which wouldn't look great anyway), it leaves me pretty much no options at all.
a.cutler1001

Re: Todd's Canopy

Postby GordonTurner » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:11 pm

I have no information, but I believe I heard someone else took over the business.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Matt541 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:30 am

Yes, the Todd's Canopies business and molds were purchased by another company after Todd's passing.

I spoke with the new company when I needed to replace my canopy. The bad news is that the Sonex mold was damaged beyond repair. The good news is that they were willing to create a new one if someone in their area in Florida was willing use their Sonex to create one. But that was over a year ago...
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Scott Todd » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:18 am

How does it leave you no options? Was the fuselage design changed so much the original canopy and frame can't be fitted? Even if you replace the windshield and frame, you only have to match the turtle deck.
Scott Todd

Postby a.cutler1001 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:48 am

Scott Todd wrote:How does it leave you no options? Was the fuselage design changed so much the original canopy and frame can't be fitted? Even if you replace the windshield and frame, you only have to match the turtle deck.

I would need to replace both the windshield and the canopy, which is a reasonably big undertaking, and then even with my lowered seat mod, I wouldn't have enough headroom to sit in it so by replacing it with a stock canopy, I'd be rendering the airplane useless to me. That said, I did finally get in touch with the aerocanopy guy and he seems interested in making one and had me send him pictures with lots of dimensions so he may not even need the old canopy to make a mold.
a.cutler1001

Postby a.cutler1001 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:50 am

Matt541 wrote:Yes, the Todd's Canopies business and molds were purchased by another company after Todd's passing.

I spoke with the new company when I needed to replace my canopy. The bad news is that the Sonex mold was damaged beyond repair. The good news is that they were willing to create a new one if someone in their area in Florida was willing use their Sonex to create one. But that was over a year ago...

I talked to them yesterday, he's going to look into making one from a bunch of dimensions that I sent him. I also spoke to a local plastics fabrication and manufacturing company and asked if I brought it to them if they could make a mold and replicate it. They said it doesn't quite work like that and they would need plans/diemensions to do it. That is also something that generally can cost up in to the five figures, so I wonder how the aerocanopy guy would be able to do it.
a.cutler1001

Return to Sonex