Sonex legacy floor

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Sonex legacy floor

Postby zzdeck » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:17 pm

When getting in and out of our legacy Sonex, we've been wary of standing on the seating area. We try to step on areas with support beneath. We are in the process of building and have not purchased upholstery yet. The seating area is a sheet of steel anchored with piano hinges at the back (under the spine) and front (under the knees). Between those two points there is no support (it feels like you are sitting in a hammock) and there is a pretty significant gap between what you and the airplane floor.

Have we have missed something? Should the seating area have additional support beneath? It seems flimsy, but perhaps it's stronger than we think.
Comments, please.
zzdeck

Re: Sonex legacy floor

Postby DCASonex » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:39 am

Unless somebody messed with your kit, that "sheet of steel" is actually aluminum, and nothing goes under it.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Scott Todd » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:18 am

Shouldn't you be stepping on the spar to get in?
Scott Todd

Postby XenosN42 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:02 am

DCASonex wrote:Unless somebody messed with your kit, that "sheet of steel" is actually aluminum, and nothing goes under it.

David A.

True! And I would add that it is designed to be stepped on.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby builderflyer » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:57 am

The part of the Sonex that is most structurally abused in the entire airplane is likely along the "spine" of the seat pan. Originally, the hinge along the spine was attached to an unreinforced channel section. Before long, through a Sonex service bulletin, an extruded aluminum angle was added to the top of the channel section for additional strength in that area. So the next failure on my particular Sonex was the hinge material itself that is attached to the extruded angle. Some of the hinge loops began to break off and sections of the hinge had to be replaced. The next point of failure, which has just occurred, is a crack in the seat material itself along the bend of the spine adjacent to the hole through which the seat belts pass. I've added a couple of reinforcements in this area and we'll have to see how long before another failure occurs here.

If I were to rebuild the entire seat pan on my Sonex, or if I was building a new Sonex it would be my intention to do two upgrades and they are: (1) add a doubler skin along the entire length of the spine, bent to match the corner of the pan and riveted to both the bottom and back of the pan (note that some builders have used a thicker material for the entire seat pan but they haven't said how that has worked out for them) and, (2) use a structurally upgraded hinge material along the entire length of the spine. The remainder of the seat pan installation has never been an issue.

Just my opinion,

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95 (800 hours),,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby pappas » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:49 am

Having built and flown both the Legacy Waiex and the B model, I can say that I never liked the "sling seat idea". The B model has structural ribs below the seat pan that are very much like the style that was in the RV-8 that I built. I don't doubt that a builder can fabricate seat ribs similar to the B model that would eliminate the problems with the sling seat.

I remember that the sling seat could interfere with the pitch control components of the aircraft if additional weight was in the seat. I had to make adjustments for that before I could make a safe first flight. Designing and adding seat ribs for the legacy models is the best bet in my opinion.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:57 pm

All very interesting, to a new Sonex owner (will take possession within the next 2 weeks).

My question would be; is this space readily usable/accessible ie can it be used to store things like the aircraft tie down kit, spare fuel filter, firsts aid kit, etc??
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:22 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:My question would be; is this space readily usable/accessible ie can it be used to store things like the aircraft tie down kit, spare fuel filter, firsts aid kit, etc??

Would be bad from a crashworthiness perspective.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:50 pm

Good space for remote mount radios, agars, etc. it’s not easy to get in to in the sense of baggage storage.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:32 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:
Would be bad from a crashworthiness perspective.

Care to expand/elaborate.
Skippydiesel

Next

Return to Sonex