Comfort (Seating/Upholstery)

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Comfort (Seating/Upholstery)

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:53 am

Hi all,

I will soon have to design/specify the seating/upholstery in my Sonex Legacy. I would very much appreciate the input of those that have gone befor (have experience).

Photos/Pics would be good (worth a thousand words)

Photos dont tell me what you used to make a nice comfortable base/back - details of foam types, layering, etc ?

Has anyone got experience/advice in trying for a contoured (bum/back shaped) seat ?

Covering materials for a nice cool durable seat (gets hot here in Australia) ?

is Velcro a viable fixing cushions in position solution ?

Has anyone tried pre shaped automotive cushions ?
Skippydiesel

Re: Comfort (Seating/Upholstery)

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:32 am

I made mine. My pics ect start at this page in my thread:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&start=1070
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby avee8r » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:05 am

I actually bought simple cushions from a TV ad here in the US. It's a form fitting foam with sheepskin on one side. I have a center stick legacy Sonex and they fit fine. You might have to turn them 90 deg. for dual sticks but as I recall, they'd still fit fine.

We've flown cross country and haven't wanted for anything in this regard along the way.

They're cool in the summer, warm enough in the winter, they contour to both my back and bottom over time and were only $19.95 each. Google "as seen on tv seat cushion", you may or may not have them there without huge shipping cost.

Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Postby JerryCPP » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:53 pm

I went to Oregon Areo. I took my seat pan with me as they didn't have a pattern. They designed the pads and used foam appropriate for my weight. They aren't cheap, but they are top quality and very comfortable. You might check to see if they kept the pattern. You can have them upholster the pads, or cover them your self. My Sonex is a legacy, dual stick.
JerryCPP

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:59 am

John/Jerry - terrific!

I like Johns KISS solution very very much and Jerry's more considered approach as well.

I think I might start with an Australian version of Johns cushions - very little to loose and if it doesnt work out, move on to the Jerry solution.

Hows that for hedging my bets ?
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:00 am

John/Jerry - terrific!

I like Johns low cost KISS solution very very much and Jerry's more considered approach as well.

I think I might start with an Australian version of Johns cushions - very little to loose and if it doesnt work out, move on to the Jerry solution.

Hows that for hedging my bets ?

Oh! and my Sonex is a duel stick variant.
Skippydiesel

Postby Scott Todd » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:20 am

My wife commented that if I could build an airplane (actually third one) I could make seat cushions for my Onex. So I dug out the old sewing machine and went to the local fabric store. $50 and about 4 hours later I had this seat. I had enough material left over to try the baggage sack. It came out pretty good. I may do a round two on the seat but this one is good for testing flying :)

I watched some pretty good YouTube videos on stool cushions and boat seats.

Scott
Attachments
IMG_2883.jpg
IMG_2883.jpg (67.28 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
IMG_2882.jpg
IMG_2882.jpg (105.62 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
Scott Todd

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:57 pm

Preshaped memory foam add-on "lumbar support" cushions from the office supply store. I even found a couple that were "notched" and I didn't need to do anything for the stick. At least in the US - they had flammability stickers so that was a good thing. Velcro in place. Got mine on sale. $50 for 4 to do passenger and pilot in a Sonex.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:30 pm

Scott wrote:So I dug out the old sewing machine and went to the local fabric store. $50 and about 4 hours later I had this seat.

Scott

Very nice Scott! I followed a similar path, but spent about $250. No spousal encouragement. Mine weighed 6.5 lbs. We probably watched the same Sailrite videos.

I ended up killing the old machine but since have acquired 3 more, and have gotten into sailmaking.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Scott Todd » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:09 pm

Those Sailrite videos were great! I wanted to do the piping but decided it would be better on V2. Here is what mine weighed. I used 2 inch foam for the cushions. So seat, baggage compartment, and zippered side pouch all came in around 2 pounds. My fabric was some from the cutoff/scrap bin. There wasn't enough of the tan colored so that's why I have the black patches in the seat. It actually came out pretty good :) I did the velcro like the Sailrite videos.

Even though you spent a little more, it was still cheaper than buying them and you can say made them! That's awesome. Post pictures of yours.

Scott
Attachments
SeatCushions.jpg
SeatCushions.jpg (117.55 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Scott Todd

Next

Return to Sonex