Windscreen/Fwd Canopy Installation

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Windscreen/Fwd Canopy Installation

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:23 am

lakespookie wrote:Care to post any pics of the work/results?

Have tried to post photos a few times befor - no luck - dont know what I am doing wrong.
Skippydiesel

Postby pfhoeycfi » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:48 am

I would like to put some p seal at the fwd and aft edges of the canopy, I'm thinking 3/16 inch p seal might do it. Can anybody recommend a brand or source for p seal that has good adhesive.

peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:03 am

I perused the aviation seal aisle at Home Depot and picked out a couple I thought might work. Needed to be very thin to avoid raising the front edge of the canopy. And BARELY compressing so as to not put an upward force on the edge of the plexi which over time will crack it over the fasteners to the frame. It does keep quite heavy rain out.

Didn't try and tackle the rear edge. That was going to need a flange to support the seal and that was going to be too big a deal. In practice - in rain - it barely leaks there. It's the front edge that matters.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Previous

Return to Sonex