Windscreen/Fwd Canopy Installation

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Windscreen/Fwd Canopy Installation

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:23 pm

Can you direct me to detailed instructions of how to install the windscreen/forward canopy? Of particular interest is sealing against rain entry.
Skippydiesel

Re: Windscreen/Fwd Canopy Installation

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:55 pm

https://www.eaa.org/videos/20505331001

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=338

PM me an email address and I'll share some other documentation. Unfortunately in my thread all those pictures are gone. Good luck on sealing against rain entry. Should have no problem draining out the bottom though.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:13 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:https://www.eaa.org/videos/20505331001

http://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=338

PM me an email address and I'll share some other documentation. Unfortunately in my thread all those pictures are gone. Good luck on sealing against rain entry. Should have no problem draining out the bottom though.

Hi Bryan - did you get my PM response (a big yes) & direct email address???
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:58 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:Hi Bryan - did you get my PM response (a big yes) & direct email address???

I did not! My gmail address is my first name, my last name, and the 3 digits of my Waiex serial number all appended together. Try that. All that info should be in my signature.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:38 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:Hi Bryan - did you get my PM response (a big yes) & direct email address???

I did not! My gmail address is my first name, my last name, and the 3 digits of my Waiex serial number all appended together. Try that. All that info should be in my signature.

Tried again - hope the PM gets through this time.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:54 am

Has anyone used any form of "sealing" against airframe on the forward canopy/windscreen??

I have found a "rubber" supply shop that has a wide range of weather strip profiles, including several (X sectional) U shaped sealers in soft black material. They also have flat black "EPDM" rubber sponge strip in different widths & thicknesses
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:54 am

Surely there is a Sonex owner/builder that has gone down the path of windscreen sealing (or at least considered it)
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:40 pm

Okay -

I have purchased some EPDM (rubber) 3mm thick, sponge, adhesive one side, strips. I estimate it can compress down to about 1mm.

I am contemplating using these on each side of the windscreen.

First order of business will be to punch screw holes in the strips, aligning with those in the windscreen.

Then stick strip onto outside of screen, forming the "meat in the sandwich" between skin of aircraft & screen, in the hope of form an air/water/dust resistant seal.

For the front of the screen, I have purchased a P (X section) shaped strip of slightly denser EPDM.

The idea here is the round tube of the P will form a seal on the outside of the screen, the "leg" of the P will be flat on the firewall bow and be compressed by screen edge.

Any thoughts??
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:51 am

I installed my windscreen/forward canopy this afternoon - bit of s struggle (thanks for the helping hand son) but you all know that.

As part of the installation I have also used the above mentioned EPDM rubber strip and P profile- looks good.

The adhesive (one side) 3mm x 12 mm has been installed down each side of the windscreen. The non adhesive P profile on the forward edge/firewall bow. Both were marked & had suitably sized holes pre punched befor installation.

Time will tell if there will be any benefit, in regard to wind (noise) reduction, rain & dust entry
Skippydiesel

Postby lakespookie » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:46 am

Care to post any pics of the work/results?
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Next

Return to Sonex