Baggage Area Safety

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Baggage Area Safety

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:13 pm

My Sonex is fitted with a very nice baggage compartment, with zipped lid - all very nice & secure. Unfortunately there is a gapping triangular hole above/behind the zipped lid.

My Sonex will fly for the first time very shortly and I am concerned about items (head sets/maps/hats/etc) inadvertently ending up in the tail cone, where they may interfere with rudder/elevator controls.

Item have already found there way to this location and are a right pain the the arse to retrieve - at least they have been retrieved, what if they get there unnoticed?

I would like to see how other owners have "fixed/managed" this problem - please send photos/description -????
Skippydiesel

Re: Baggage Area Safety

Postby racaldwell » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:46 am

I have a fully enclosed baggage area for the reasons you state and to lessen air movement from the tail forward. Here is a pic of the top side during construction. The brown piece is a foam sandwich of epoxy/2.5 oz. fiberglass (2 plies). I made it one bay back from the baggage area in case I wanted to carry my guitar case. The neck can rest back there with the body in the baggage area.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 58 hrs
Hat Shelf Sm.jpg
Hat Shelf Sm.jpg (100.2 KiB) Viewed 917 times
racaldwell

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:14 am

I plan to stick some velcro on the beam and bulkheads, and stitch mating velcro to a triangular piece of fabric.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:06 pm

Thanks Guys,

Strangely I have been thinking of a blend of both your ideas - very thin/light weight plywood, cut to shape and held in place by heavy duty Velcro
Skippydiesel

Postby daleandee » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:48 pm

I used a lightweight piece of construction Styrofoam that I painted black (be careful to use a proper paint). It fits snuggly but I also have a retainer that fits through one of the tooling holes in the top of the rib. It has a minimum effect of softening the oil can noises from the mega horn tail cone ... 8~)
daleandee

Postby Murray Parr » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:26 am

I use the one Sonex sells, its light and works well. I am sure Bunnings has similar products that you could use if you wanted to copy it.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Return to Sonex