Nose "heavy"

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Nose "heavy"

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:25 am

Have decided to fit Peter Anson's Flap Stops - have ordered - will be with me later this week.

Have been persuaded by commentary on this Forum and my recent(flap/aileron adjustment) experience - The aerodynamic force/up pressure on the flaps is considerable and the only thing holding them against moving up (in high speed cruise) is the actuating linkage on the inboard end. The multiplier effect of having the linkage at one end and the rest of the flap, unsupported against movement seems illogical - hence placing an adjustable stop/support at about mid flap span (have yet to see the detailed installation instructions).

I will let you know how it all pans out.
Skippydiesel

Postby DCASonex » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:49 am

On an A series Sonex with flap lever on left side, those stops will make a very noticeable improvement and well worth the investment.

Once you get the stops adjusted where you want them, might consider using the final dimensions to make solid stops that contact a broader area near the top edge of the flaps. The small bolt heads of the adjustable stops contact a relatively soft area on the flap and I was concerned about possible cracking of the aluminum. Solid stops can be made from firm plastic or even wood.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:04 am

DCASonex wrote:On an A series Sonex with flap lever on left side, those stops will make a very noticeable improvement and well worth the investment.

Once you get the stops adjusted where you want them, might consider using the final dimensions to make solid stops that contact a broader area near the top edge of the flaps. The small bolt heads of the adjustable stops contact a relatively soft area on the flap and I was concerned about possible cracking of the aluminum. Solid stops can be made from firm plastic or even wood.

David A.

For this very reason, I had intended to fit two stops per flap but Peter has advised that this is unnecessarily - so one each for now.
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Sonex