Hydraulic Brake Line Routing

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Hydraulic Brake Line Routing

Postby austexaviator » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 pm

I am upgrading my brakes to MATCO brakes. Currently I have Tracy O'Briens with a stick mounted Hegar brake lever. I am not happy with this setup and have been messing with my brakes more than I have been flying. Time to get real aircraft brakes. I will be installing toe brakes in the process.
How have you run the brake lines on a tail dragger? Do you go through the floor board or through the firewall? in my current set up the nylon brake lines run through the firewall but it takes some sharp turns to go to the gear legs.
Also, do you just use rubber grommets for the penetration? I am unable to find proper bulkhead fittings for 3/16 high pressure Nylaflow tubing.

Thanks!
Patrick
Tailwheel Sonex Model A Jabiru 3300
austexaviator

Re: Hydraulic Brake Line Routing

Postby Panther16 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:11 pm

I have Tracy O’Brien brakes with the Hager stick mounted master cylinder lever assembly. It works well for me and has been on my Sonex for 420 hrs. They hold well for run up and will raise the tail back off the ground if you get to aggressive on landing, I have a parking brake valve and it works well. The only thing they don’t do is allow you to spin around in front of to hanger.
Keith Rhode
Sonex 214 KE Jab 3300
Panther16

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:21 pm

I ran mine through a grommet in the floor so I could run them down the gear leg. The fairing covers them. I have the Sonex hydraulic brakes.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:45 pm

Panther16 wrote:I have Tracy O’Brien brakes with the Hager stick mounted master cylinder lever assembly. It works well for me and has been on my Sonex for 420 hrs.

+1 on the Tracy O'Brien brakes and Hager stick master cylinder. Only complaint is that they can tend to fade quickly if you ask of lot from them for a long time. I usually use them enough to take the initial speed off the landing and then just let it roll on out ...
daleandee

Postby austexaviator » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:12 pm

Panther16 wrote:I have Tracy O’Brien brakes with the Hager stick mounted master cylinder lever assembly. It works well for me and has been on my Sonex for 420 hrs. They hold well for run up and will raise the tail back off the ground if you get to aggressive on landing, I have a parking brake valve and it works well. The only thing they don’t do is allow you to spin around in front of to hanger.
Keith Rhode
Sonex 214 KE Jab 3300

Tracy O'Brien is out of business - I am a little worried about the availability of parts going forward. How did you route your brake lines?
Patrick
austexaviator

Postby austexaviator » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:14 pm

daleandee wrote:
Panther16 wrote:I have Tracy O’Brien brakes with the Hager stick mounted master cylinder lever assembly. It works well for me and has been on my Sonex for 420 hrs.

+1 on the Tracy O'Brien brakes and Hager stick master cylinder. Only complaint is that they can tend to fade quickly if you ask of lot from them for a long time. I usually use them enough to take the initial speed off the landing and then just let it roll on out ...

Glad they work well for you. I have the hardest time bleeding that system properly. I am going with a reservoir style set up.

How did you route your brake lines?
Patrick
austexaviator

Postby austexaviator » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:14 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I ran mine through a grommet in the floor so I could run them down the gear leg. The fairing covers them. I have the Sonex hydraulic brakes.

Thanks. Do you have any pictures of your setup by chance?
Patrick
austexaviator

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:14 pm

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&start=1250

I'll have to get another picture.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:50 pm

austexaviator wrote:
daleandee wrote:

Glad they work well for you. I have the hardest time bleeding that system properly. I am going with a reservoir style set up.

How did you route your brake lines?

Once I learned how to bleed the brakes it was easy enough to do (but still messy). I've only had to bleed them once since the install. Sad that his business in now closed as I may have to go to a different brake set up if/when I need parts for these. As to my install my lines are through grommets and then onto the gear legs. I don't have a clear photo but if you stop and look at the interior tour portion of this video you can see the routing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0fgs4cFuE
daleandee

Postby Area 51% » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:21 pm

I too went through the floor but used phenolic blocks to keep the lines from chaffing instead of grommets.

I can send you pictures of my install via email, but my lack of technical prowess won't allow me to post here. Still trying to get the time to stop flashing on the VCR.

bubblesinbpfl@yahoo.com
Area 51%

Next

Return to Sonex