MATCO Brake Assembly

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

MATCO Brake Assembly

Postby austexaviator » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:21 pm

I ordered and received my MATCO brake setup (WHLW50CC.75 - W50CC.75 tire and wheel assembly and the adapter MHSL-SXKIT - ADAPTER KIT, SONEX). The quality looks great and they feel like real airplane parts. As I am assembling this I am running into some issues.
1. I was running the 5.00x5 Air Trac tires. They worked fine on the Azusa wheel. The MATCO wheel assembly has the valve stem hole off-center. The stem doesn't fit properly - it protrudes way too much.

After further searching I found that MATCO offers an assembly called WHLW51CC.
It states "The WHLW51CC is machined for use with the 5.00-5 tire and tube. See the WHLW50CC for use with 11x4-5 tires and tubes or other industrial 5 inch tires." .

Is there a difference in the valve stem location between 5.00-5 and 11x4-5? Both seem to fit the Azusa wheel just fine. On the WHLW50CC it says nothing about which wheel and tire it is machined to. What are my options? I don't really want to run the smaller tires.
IMG_5066.JPG

2. The axle spacer doesn’t fit flush against the brake plate. The spacer rides on the washers instead of flush against the plate. Should I file down the washers to make enough room?
SpacerOnWashers.jpg
Patrick
Tailwheel Sonex Model A Jabiru 3300
austexaviator

Re: MATCO Brake Assembly

Postby tps8903 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:09 pm

austexaviator wrote:I ordered and received my MATCO brake setup (WHLW50CC.75 - W50CC.75 tire and wheel assembly and the adapter MHSL-SXKIT - ADAPTER KIT, SONEX). The quality looks great and they feel like real airplane parts. As I am assembling this I am running into some issues.
1. I was running the 5.00x5 Air Trac tires. They worked fine on the Azusa wheel. The MATCO wheel assembly has the valve stem hole off-center. The stem doesn't fit properly - it protrudes way too much.

It states "The WHLW51CC is machined for use with the 5.00-5 tire and tube. See the WHLW50CC for use with 11x4-5 tires and tubes or other industrial 5 inch tires." .

Is there a difference in the valve stem location between 5.00-5 and 11x4-5? Both seem to fit the Azusa wheel just fine. On the WHLW50CC it says nothing about which wheel and tire it is machined to. What are my options? I don't really want to run the smaller tires.
IMG_5066.JPG

2. The axle spacer doesn’t fit flush against the brake plate. The spacer rides on the washers instead of flush against the plate. Should I file down the washers to make enough room?
SpacerOnWashers.jpg

What mastercylinder did you end up using for these brakes?
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Re: MATCO Brake Assembly

Postby Murray Parr » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:06 pm

austexaviator wrote:I ordered and received my MATCO brake setup (WHLW50CC.75 - W50CC.75 tire and wheel assembly and the adapter MHSL-SXKIT - ADAPTER KIT, SONEX). The quality looks great and they feel like real airplane parts. As I am assembling this I am running into some issues.

IMG_5066.JPG

SpacerOnWashers.jpg

You could try a different style valve with a new tube, I am not sure all the styles, but some research might find a more suitable angle or length.

As for the axle spacer, I would either file the washers so they sit flush or if there is room could you orientate the bolts to have the nuts and washers on the outside?
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Return to Sonex