6 Inch pnumatic tail wheel tire, tube, wheel ass'y

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

6 Inch pnumatic tail wheel tire, tube, wheel ass'y

Postby n502pd » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:46 pm

Happy New Year to all!
Ok, new year has me flying off an old USAF field in N.Tx. the taxi and rwys are all very robust and in pretty good shape. However, the solid tail wheel , as we know, has no coushoning effect, and the noise is worrying, to say the least. slowing down doesnot help.
So, a question: with my existing 6in solid wheel ass'y, what have you menbers used to convert to a pnumatic wheel, tire, and tube? I have looked at Peter Ansons item, but as a scratch builder, I would like to find the wheel, tire,tube and integrate it into/onto what I already have. Where do Iook for such an item, that wont ruin my credit with my CFO? any info/ideas would be kindly appreciated!!

Fly safe, as always!
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Re: 6 Inch pnumatic tail wheel tire, tube, wheel ass'y

Postby sonex892. » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:12 pm

Hi Joe
If you already have a 6" wheel, a Peter Anson wheel should possibly fit without changing anything else. That taxying noise from the solid wheel will be totally eliminated. The only downside is you will have to periodically replace the tire and you may get a puncture. Peter's items are really are good value and inexpensive. Especially allowing for the USD - AUD exchange rate.
I also like sctatch building stuff I made my own fully swivelling tailwheel assembly and wheel. I had the aluminium for the wheel and just had to buy the bearings, tire, tube and turn down the wheel. The wheel itself was a lot of work and probably not worth the effort.
Steve
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby BRS » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:24 pm

There are many scooter and wheel chair pneumatic tires & wheels that may fit. Come to think of it, sounds like an upgrade I might be interested in. Consider there is only about 35lbs static weight on these things it should not take much. Though without deferential braking the loss of the wheel could be a really big deal. Might want to ask the factory if there is a reason they use a solid wheel.

Search (scooter 6 inch wheel tire).
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby n502pd » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:22 pm

Thanks much for the info! I am aware of Peters tail wheel, and may go that direction. However, I do want to investigate some opotions on wheels and tires before I commit to one item. If...when...I fine something usable, i will probably attempt to fit it, even if I have to remake the swivel part of the tail wheel.

IMHO, i think sonex designed with the 4 in solid wheel for several reasons, lightness, simplicity, and cost. These are not bad things, it just means that there will be much mmore noise on convrete runways, vs blacktop rwys. Again just IMHO!!
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Postby peter anson » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:50 am

Hi Joe, I can supply the wheel with plug in spacers so that it fits directly into the Sonex 6" caster. As well as being quieter, the pneumatic wheel grips better and is lighter than even the 4" solid wheel.

Peter
peter anson

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:34 am

n502pd wrote:it just means that there will be much more noise on convrete runways

It's funny - I'm used to it and just ignore it now. However passengers who are also pilots are generally horrified the first time they hear it. :-)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:29 am

GraemeSmith wrote:
n502pd wrote:it just means that there will be much more noise on convrete runways

It's funny - I'm used to it and just ignore it now. However passengers who are also pilots are generally horrified the first time they hear it. :-)

I am also used to it. After hearing all the talk on the forum I thought it would be a mandatory change. I think I'm happy with it the way it is.

It's not noisy in the air!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Sonex